We live in a culture where identity is inextricably linked to career—but who we are is not what we do.
And work is not a substrate for identity.
In addition to philosophizing on capitalism, hedonistic altruism, and rest as resistance, in today’s edition of ‘Roll On’ Adam Skolnick and I trade fitness updates, perform a virtual reality show & tell, answer listener questions, and more.
Aside from being my bi-weekly sidekick hype beast, Adam is a waterman, writer, activist, and veteran journalist best known as David Goggins’ Can’t Hurt Me, co-author. He writes about adventure sports, environmental issues, and civil rights for outlets such as The New York Times, Outside, ESPN, BBC, and Men’s Health. He is the author of One Breath and is currently using the ‘new dad’ excuse to avoid working on his novel.
Specific topics covered in this episode include:
- an update on endurance swimmer Lewis Pugh’s ‘Code Red’ arctic swim;
- a recap of the Leadville 100, the Ultra-Trail du Mont-Blanc, and Robbie Balenger’s Colorado Crush;
- Sania Sorokin’s record-breaking 24-hour race;
- Michael Muller’s virtual reality shark experience ‘Into the Now’;
- thoughts on life, careers, and the NYT piece, Work Is a False Idol; and
- Rich & Adam’s streams of the week.
“Pursue what you love, but don’t let it become your entire being.”
– ADAM SKOLNICK
In addition, we answer the following questions:
- How do you end self-sabotaging behaviors?
- What are the best ways to prepare for a 100K ultra race?
- When exercising, what is the most efficient way to breathe?
Thank you to Annie from Colorado, Brian from London, and Scott from Vermont for your questions. If you want your query discussed, drop it on our Facebook Page or better yet leave a voicemail at (424) 235-4626.
Final Note: We have a special guest appearance for the ad reads today. Any guesses?
Listen, Watch, & Subscribe
I'm proud to announce my new book 'Voicing Change'. To learn more & reserve your copy, click the button below.
GoMacro: Packed with 100% sustainably sourced plant-based ingredients to fuel your body and mind, GoMacro bars are organic, vegan, gluten-free, and wildly delicious. These are my all-time favorite bars—get your hands on some at gomacro.com and use the promo code RichRoll for 30% OFF plus free shipping on all orders over $50.
Indeed delivers 4x more hires than all other job sites combined, so you can meet and hire great people faster. There are no long-term contracts and Indeed gives you full control so you only pay for what you need. Listeners can get a FREE SEVENTY-FIVE DOLLAR CREDIT to upgrade your job post at indeed.com/RICHROLL. Terms and conditions apply.
Squarespace: The easiest way to create a beautiful website, blog, or online store for you and your ideas. Save 10% on your first purchase when you visit Squarespace.com/RICHROLL and use the discount code RICHROLL at checkout.
Ten Thousand: The world’s most durable training shorts, built for your needs and designed for performance. Every order gets FREE shipping, FREE exchanges and FREE returns. Save 20% OFF your first purchase at tenthousand.cc with promo code “RICHROLL”.
- Connect With Adam: Website | Instagram | Twitter
- TikTok: @iamrichroll
- YouTube: Rich Roll Podcast Clips Channel
- Malibu Times: Mountain Lion Grabs Boy In Monte Nido, Mother Grabs Boy Back
- Twitter: 67-Year-Old Al Roker Get Smacked By Waves After NBC Drops Him Right In The Middle Of Hurricane Ida
- IRunFar: Runner Dies in Fall in 2021 TDS, Race Partially Halted
- New York Times: Work Is a False Idol
- Book: How to Be Idle: A Loafer’s Manifesto
- Nap Ministry: How will you be useless to capitalism today?
- New York Times: The Cotton Tote Crisis
- New York Times: The ‘Hedonistic Altruism’ of Plant-Based Meat
- Vice: Pepe the Frog’s Creator Nuked a $4 Million NFT Collection Over Copyright
- Netflix: White Lotus
- Documentary: VAL
- YouTube: The Wildly Lucrative World of Ice Cream TikTok
- YouTube: The Malibu Artist
- YouTube: Crime Pays But Botany Doesn’t
- Somnifix: How Nasal Breathing Helps Runners Run Faster, for Longer
There are a few simple ways you can support the show and the content we strive to craft and share every single week
Patronize Our Sponsors: Supporting the companies that support the show! For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, click the ‘Sponsors’ tab in the ‘Shop’ menu.
Spread The Word: Help grow our reach by sharing your enthusiasm for the podcast and/or your favorite episodes by posting about it on social media.
Thank The Team: I do not do this alone. Send your love to Jason Camiolo for audio engineering, production, show notes and interstitial music; Blake Curtis & Dan Drake for video, & editing; graphics by Jessica Miranda & Daniel Solis; portraits by Davy Greenberg & Grayson Wilder; copywriting by Georgia Whaley; and theme music by Tyler Piatt, Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.
Amazon Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to the Amazon affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.