Welcome to another edition of Roll On—my bi-monthly deep dive into (semi) current events, topics of audience interest, and of course answers to your questions.
Once again serving up co-host duties is hype man Adam Skolnick, an activist and veteran journalist perhaps best known as David Goggins’ Can’t Hurt Me co-author. Adam has written about adventure sports, environmental issues and civil rights for outlets such as The New York Times, Outside, ESPN, BBC, and Men’s Health. He is also the author of One Breath, which chronicles the life and death of America’s greatest freediver, and is currently hard at work on a novel.
Some of the many topics explored in today’s conversation include:
- Heart rate zones, aerobic training, functional strength & dynamic workouts
- The Beirut explosion, Rich’s experiences in Beirut & how you can help
- The politicization of USPS & compromised integrity of our forthcoming election
- Finding mentors in our every day lives
- Bureo Hat & Net Positiva — products from recycled fishing nets
- The 30 Day No Single Use Plastic Challenge
- What is going on with QAnon
- LeBron James & Patrick Mahomes tackle voter suppression
You’d be amazed by what you can learn from the people in your immediate environment if you just slow down and pay attention.
– Rich Roll
In addition, we answer the following listener questions:
- How is creative expression related to well-being?
- How does one move forward post-breakup?
- If there is a through-line of sobriety, diet, and endurance, what is the universal truth that threads them together?
- And my thoughts on Joe Rogan moving from LA to Texas, and the mass exodus of digital workers in this age of work from home.
Thank you to Camille from Illinois, Gabriel from Puerto Rico, Josh from North Carolina, and John for your questions. If you want your query discussed, drop it on our Facebook Page, or better yet leave a voicemail at (424) 235-4626.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch, & Subscribe
For 1000s of delicious, customized plant-based recipes & so much more, check out our Plantpower Meal Planner.
Ten Thousand: The World’s Most Durable Training Shorts. Built for Your Needs. Designed for Performance. Every order gets FREE shipping, FREE exchanges and FREE returns. Save 20% OFF your first purchase at tenthousand.cc with promo code “RICHROLL”.
Birch Living: The best, most affordable, organic, and sustainable mattresses on the market with a 100 night risk-free trial. 1% of each purchase is donated to the National Forest Foundation and Birch purchases carbon offsets for each mattress sold. For $200 off ALL mattress orders, visit BirchLiving.com/RichRoll
Blinkist: Unlimited access to read or listen to a massive library of condensed non-fiction books from self-help, to business, health, and history—all for one low price. Join me and 12 million others gleaning from the best and brightest. Try Blinkist FREE for 7 days AND save 25% off your new subscription at blinkist.com/RICHROLL
Daily Harvest: Daily Harvest makes it easy to eat more fruits and vegetables with thoughtfully sourced, chef-crafted foods that are ready in five minutes or less. Go to dailyharvest.com and enter promo code richroll to get twenty-five dollars off your first box.
- Connect With Adam: Website | Instagram | Twitter
- Adam’s Books: Can’t Hurt Me | One Breath
- Rich’s Running For Peace Video: YouTube | Instagram
- New York Times: I Was Bloodied and Dazed. Beirut Strangers Treated Me Like a Friend.
- New York Times: After the Beirut Blast, Lebanon’s Whole Cabinet Quit. Now What?
- New York Times: Beirut Blast Hit 3 Disparate Neighborhoods. Now They’re United in Rage.
- Bloomberg: Beirut One Week Later
- Website: Maxime Chaya
- TED: Making Peace is a Marathon
- CNN: Explosion caught on bride’s wedding day video
- Donate: Thread of worthy organizations to support Beirut
- Donate: Lebanese Red Cross
- New York Times: Postal Crisis Ripples Across Nation as Election Looms
- New York Times: Where Americans Can Vote by Mail in the 2020 Elections
- FastCompany: How to help the Post Office: Things you can do to support the USPS right now
- Change.org: Save the USPS
- Website: Bureo
- YouTube: A Net Plus | Giving Discarded Fishing Nets a New Start
- Lauren Singer: Website | Instagram | YouTube
- Bea Johnson: Website | Instagram | Book
- CNN: QAnon is conspiratorial, dangerous, and growing. And we’re talking about it all wrong.
- NPR: QAnon Supporter Who Made Bigoted Videos Wins Ga. Primary, Likely Heading To Congress
- The New York Times: Think QAnon Is on the Fringe? So Was the Tea Party
- Independent: What is QAnon?
- The Atlantic: The Prophecies of Q
- The Undefeated: More Than A Vote: A letter to fans to fight Black voter suppression
- Book: The Plague by Albert Camus
- Book: The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron
- RRP 472: Chase Jarvis: Creativity is Our Birthright
- RRP 427: Brian Koppelman On The Artist Within
- Tell Your Friends & Share Online
- Subscribe & Review: Apple | YouTube | Spotify | Google
- Donate: Patreon
Patronize Our Sponsors: For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, click “Sponsors” here.
Thanks to Jason Camiolo for production, audio engineering and show notes; Margo Lubin and Blake Curtis for video, editing and graphics; portraits by Davy Greenberg; and theme music by Tyler Piatt. Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.