Welcome to another edition of Roll On—my bi-weekly deep dive into (semi) current events, topics of audience interest, and of course answers to your questions.
Serving up hype-man duties is Adam Skolnick, an activist and veteran journalist perhaps best known as David Goggins’ Can’t Hurt Me co-author. Adam has written about adventure sports, environmental issues and civil rights for outlets such as The New York Times, Outside, ESPN, BBC, and Men’s Health. He is the author of One Breath, which chronicles the life and death of America’s greatest freediver, and is currently hard at work on a novel.
Today’s conversation begins with a quick update on my forthcoming book Voicing Change and the subscription offering we are currently building.
We then pivot to ruminations on goal setting based upon my personal experience and that of my many past guests.
We talk about the latest coverage of the coronavirus, spikes across the country, the mask-authoritarianism debate, and the current constitutional crisis occurring in Portland.
”Big goals are achieved by tiny wins daily.Rich Roll
We honor the legacy of John Lewis, exploring his history and many accomplishments, including his pivotal role in the civil rights movement.
We shoutout my friends Utkarsh Ambudkar and Darin Olien and their respective Netflix offerings: We Are Freestyle Love Supremeand Down to Earth–both mandatory quarantine viewing. We discuss the KFC-Beyond Chicken collaboration debut. And we send some love to legendary ultra runner Tommy Rivs — a beloved athlete and friend currently in the ICU (now in a coma since recording) suffering from undiagnosed COVID-like symptoms and severe respiratory distress. If you’re able, please consider a donation to Tommy’s GoFundMe to ameliorate medical expenses. A little goes a long way.
It’s always about process.
– Rich Roll
And finally, we switch gears to answer a few questions submitted by audience members on our Facebook Group page and voicemail.
- How can we best ration our time between consumption and creation?
- What can we do to abate feelings of powerlessness and fatalism about the future of humanity and the planet?
- How do you maintain sanity while both working and being a parent and part-time teacher during this unique time in history? And
- How do you ease into running?
Thank you to Patrick Dean, Bel Rumi, Joe from Pittsburgh, Bill Lawrence and Julie from Minnesota for your questions. If you want your query discussed, drop it on our Facebook Page, or better yet leave a voicemail at (424) 235-4626.
I’m digging this new format. I hope you find it equal parts entertaining and informative.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch, & Subscribe
For 1000s of delicious, customized plant-based recipes & so much more, check out our Plantpower Meal Planner.
Public Goods: One version of every essential in one place. Healthy, high quality, sustainable and affordable home goods, personal care products, and premium pantry staples. Everything is ethically sourced and free of harmful additives. The folks at Public Goods are generously giving listeners of the show $15 to spend on their first purchase — just go to publicgoods.com/RICHROLL or use code RICHROLL at checkout.
Blinkist: Unlimited access to read or listen to a massive library of condensed non-fiction books from self-help, to business, health, and history—all for one low price. Join me and 12 million others gleaning from the best and brightest. Try Blinkist FREE for 7 days AND save 25% off your new subscription at blinkist.com/richroll.
Squarespace: The easiest way to create a beautiful website, blog, or online store for you and your ideas. Save 10% at checkout when you visit squarespace.com/richroll and use the discountcode RICHROLL at checkout.
- Connect With Adam: Website | Instagram | Twitter
- Adam’s Books: Can’t Hurt Me | One Breath
- Sierra: The CAFO Industry’s Impact on the Environment and Public Health
- Medium: My Statement on the Passing of Rep. John Lewis by Barack Obama
- NY Times: John Lewis, Towering Figure of Civil Rights Era, Dies at 80
- Esquire: The Authoritarian Operation in Portland Is Only a Dress Rehearsal
- AP News: Oregon sues feds over Portland protests as unrest continues
- Salt Lake Tribune: In separate rallies, Utahns protest mask mandate and demand in-person classes
- YouTube: Solving the Mask Shortage in Huntington Beach
- Medium: American Passports Are Worthless Now (Map)
- TrailRunner: Inspirational Trail Runner Tommy Rivs Fights For His Life
- Tommy Rivs: Instagram | GoFundMe
- Runners World: The Running Community Rallies Around Tommy Rivers Puzey During His Hospitalization
- Hulu: We Are Freestyle Love Supreme
- Netflix: Down to Earth
- YouTube: Matisse
- CNN: KFC will sell plant-based fried chicken in these cities
- Tell Your Friends & Share Online
- Subscribe & Review: Apple | YouTube | Spotify | Google
- Donate: Patreon
Patronize Our Sponsors: For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, click “Sponsors” here.
Thanks to Jason Camiolo for production, audio engineering and show notes; Margo Lubin and Blake Curtis for video, editing and graphics; portraits by Leia Marasovich; and theme music by Tyler Piatt. Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.