In the words of today’s guest, “we are in a moment of acute collective suffering.”
I couldn’t agree more.
From our nation’s current civil rights struggles to a metastasizing global pandemic, the pain is real, exacerbated by a political system that seems hardwired to exacerbate problems at the cost of actually solving them.
Fomenting a collective sense of existential dread is the dark beast of climate change, an accelerating background hum that can leave even the most optimistic overwhelmed by a sense of powerlessness.
Hitting the brakes isn’t enough. We’re overdue to jam the engine into reverse. We need an immediate call to action. We need a ‘Manhattan Project’ scale approach to reckon with the objective truth of our dire predicament.
Margaret Klein Salamon, PhD is here to guide us.
”Spend your time talking to people who do understand what's going on with the climate but are still going on with their lives as usual. Move them to greater action.MARGARET KLEIN SALAMONPHD
A Harvard graduate and self-dubbed “climate psychologist,” Margaret is the founder and executive director of The Climate Mobilization, a volunteer organization dedicated to initiating a transformation of the economy, politics, and society to respond to the climate emergency. She is also the author of Facing the Climate Emergency: How to Transform Yourself with Climate Truth,an emotional guide to processing our impending apocalypse, and the subject of today’s exchange.
Recorded remotely in early June, this is a conversation about our emotional response to climate change, and tools for contributing to the positive change required of us.
It’s about the intersectionality of the climate crisis–it’s ties to the pandemic as well as the protests.
It’s about the inherent conflict between capitalism and environmentalism–and how we must de-couple corporate self-interest from the public good.
And it’s about how to deal with weaponized media and the way in which we are being spoon-fed lies by conglomerated industry over-invested in maintaining the status quo.
It’s up to us to create a system that cancels the apocalypse and protects humanity and all life
– MARGARET KLEIN SALAMON, PHD
But more than anything, this is a discourse about effective altruism–and the actionable steps we can take now to backtrack from the global suicide that grows closer daily.
It’s normal to feel disheartened. Action seems futile. And 2020 has maxed out our collective bandwidth to emotionally manage crises and revolutions. But embracing the truth and finding a way to contribute to positive change is not only mandatory — it’s a path to hope. And to girding your life with more meaning, inclusion and empathy.
Margaret’s ideologies have totally reframed how I perceive, address, and talk about the climate crisis. My hope is that her words offer you a perspective that is honest and hopeful.
But more than anything, my hope is that it inspires you to do something.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch, & Subscribe
For 1000s of delicious, customized plant-based recipes & so much more, check out our Plantpower Meal Planner.
- Connect with Margaret: Twitter | Instagram | Website
- The Climate Mobilization: Resouces
- Book: Leading the Public into Emergency Mode
- Book: Facing the Climate Emergency: How to Transform Yourself with Climate Truth
- Medium: The Transformative Power of Climate Truth
- Medium: Collected Essays by Margaret Klein Salamon
- Vice: What Declaring a ‘Climate Emergency’ in the U.S. Would Actually Do
- Now This: Adam McKay and Activist Margaret Klein Salamon on Declaring a Climate Emergency
- The New York Times: A ‘Climate Emergency’ Was Declared in New York City. Will That Change Anything? by Anne Barnard
- The Cut: How a ‘Climate Psychologist’ Gets It Done
- The Hill: Moving into emergency mode on climate change by Margaret Klein Salamon
- Grist: As ‘normal’ crumbles, young people are turning their grief into action
- Donate: Extinction Rebellion
- Donate: Sunrise Movement
- Donate: School Strikers
- Donate: Future Coalition
- Donate: Climate Emergency Fund
- Tell Your Friends & Share Online
- Subscribe & Review: Apple | YouTube | Spotify | Google
- Donate: Patreon
Patronize Our Sponsors: For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, click “Sponsors” here.
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.