Ask and ye shall receive. Today is Durianrider day on the podcast. And he has a message for you:
Carb the f$%@ up!
Aka Harley Johnstone, “Durianrider” is a self-avowed health vigilante committed to increasing public awareness of the benefits of a high carbohydrate, low-fat whole food plant-based lifestyle. A lifestyle modeled upon Doug Graham’s book The 80/10/10 Diet*, or what is more commonly referred to as fruitarian — a dietary protocol based predominantly upon eating copious amounts of fruit. Let’s just say it’s not uncommon for Harley to proudly devour upwards of 70 bananas a day.
In this regard, Harley is not alone. Although still on the fringe in terms of mainstream awareness and popularity, the 80/10/10 program is one that is gaining popularity (check out my podcast interviews with Michael Arnstein and Mac Danzig for more).
But what distinguishes Harley from fellow healthy lifestyle advocates is his unique, personal style.
Outspoken and unequivocal, Harley doesn’t mince words. At times acerbic, and often on the perimeter of completely outlandish, Harley is a lightning rod for controversy — a role he relishes. Proponents of “fad diets” hawking unhealthy and unethical programs or snake oil products get called out. Taken to the mat. And on occasion, name-calling is involved.
And don’t even get him started on how he feels about the currently über-popular low-carb / no-carb / ketosis-based diets pushing high protein and copious amounts of fat.
His fans are passionate. His critics equally so.
But make no mistake — behind the larger-than-life personality, Harley is in many ways a regular guy leading a simple and active life, committed to helping people feel as good as he does, primarily via his YouTube channel. A guy frustrated by all the confusing and misleading health, diet and fitness information penetrating the internet, he’s like Howard Beale (Peter Finch) in the 1976 movie “Network” screaming, “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take this anymore!”
Durianrider may not be everyone’s cup of tea. I get it. So does he. And he’s fine with that. But regardless of any preconceived opinions you may harbor, I implore you to listen with an open mind.
His message is powerful. And for the record – I like the guy.
I hope you enjoy the show!
For some background on the Harley ethos, check out this short video: Why is Durianrider So Aggressive?
- CrossFit’s Dirty Little Secret, by Eric Robertson (via Medium): https://medium.com/p/97bcce70356d
- Book: The 80/10/10 Diet* by Douglas Graham
- Durianrider Blog: http://durianrider.com/
- 30 Bananas a Day Website: http://www.30bananasaday.com
- Durianrider YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders
- Durianrider on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Durianrider/197363716986830
- Durianrider on Twitter ( @DURIANRIDERS ): https://twitter.com/DURIANRIDERS
- Durianrider on Instagram ( @durianrider ): http://instagram.com/durianrider
- The Woodstock Fruit Festival: http://www.thewoodstockfruitfestival.com/
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
1. TELL A FRIEND! (Self-explanatory)
2. SHARE ONLINE! (Also self-explanatory)
5. DOWNLOAD THE NEW MOBILE APP! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our new mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.
Thanks for listening and thanks for the support!