Today on the show I sit down with my friend Mac Danzig, a fascinating PlantPowered force in the MMA / UFC world.
Before we go any further, throw away any UFC fighter stereotypes that may come to mind. Mac is one of the more intelligent, introspective and out-of-the box thinkers you are likely to meet — a personality and perspective forged from transcending a challenging upbringing to rise to the highest echelons of the UFC, including victory in Season 6 of the Ultimate Fighter and a decorated career that includes twelve consecutive wins in 2006.
Accomplishments all achieved on a 100% plant-based diet.
I first met Mac a couple years ago and was immediately struck by his contemplative, low key personality. A guy at peace with himself, far more comfortable alone in nature than navigating the spotlight. A guy who really thinks about the authenticity of his actions, his place in the world, how to best father his daughter Nova, and the impact his decisions have on others and the planet at large. So it was fascinating to finally sit down with him and hash it out. Not short on opinions, Mac broke my record in episode length today, exceeding 3 hours and expounding upon everything from his career and diet (of course) to the benefits of meditation, the perils of our education system and sport as art. Yeah, it’s a long one. I know. But I am really proud of this interview and essentially guarantee that you will be completely engaged throughout.
It’s one thing when a triathlete, marathoner or an ultra-runner demonstrates plantpowered prowess. We’ve seen that. But what about an athlete whose success depends upon brute strength, lightning speed, incredible power and world-class agility? Well that’s another thing altogether. Simply put, Mac’s success takes all the wind out of the tired argument that you cannot excel athletically on a plant-based diet.
Now Mac is taking his game to a whole new level, experimenting with the 80/10/10 Diet – a regimen heralded by Douglas Graham in which 80% of all calories come from carbohydrates, 10% from protein and 10% from fat. Translation? Most of what he eats is fruit — a protocol that stands in direct counterpoint to the high fashion, high fat, low carb craze currently in vogue.
How is it working for Mac? You’ll have to listen to the whole episode to find out. It might take a few sittings, but I promise it’s worth your time investment.
I genuinely hope you enjoy the show.
Just a reminder that we’re now up and running on Soundcloud for those of you that prefer this service. Check out the show there & follow us – I even created a few albums to help you find the episode and subject matter you are looking for, including a most popular episode album and episodes catalogued by subject matter – i.e., nutrition, fitness, entrepreneurs & spirituality. Good stuff. For those unfamiliar, Soundcloud is great because it allows you to share your favorite episodes across your social networks and even embed shows on your website or blog with their super groovy player widget. You can even add comments to the show specifically tagged to the referenced section / time code. And it’s an amazing tool to further help get the word out about the podcast, so we appreciate any sharing or spreading you are inclined to do! For more info, click HERE.
- Mac Danzig Wikipedia
- Mac Danzig on Twitter: @macdanzigmma: http://twitter.com/macdanzigmma
- Mac Danzig Photography Website: http://www.macdanzigphoto.net/
- Mac Danzig’s Other Photography Website: http://macdanzigphotography.wordpress.com/
- The 80/10/10 Diet* by Douglas M. Graham
- The 80/10/10 Reference Guide on Food Combinations & Nutrition* by Douglas M. Graham
- Mac Danzig’s Diet: The Truth About Vegan (UFC.com)
- UFC Fighter Mac Danzig’s Vegan Diet
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
1. TELL A FRIEND! (Self-explanatory)
2. SHARE ONLINE! (Also self-explanatory)
5. DOWNLOAD THE NEW MOBILE APP! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our new mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.
Thanks for listening and thanks for the support!