What can mined from the abyss that separates ordinary from extraordinary?
Although he’s never pedaled a single stage of the Tour de France as a professional cyclist, Mike Cotty has done things on the bike that would make even Jens Voigt (the consensus hard man of the pro peloton) cringe.
Here’s a taste. Last summer Mike rode his bike 1000 kilometers non-stop across 21 mountains in the Dolomites, Eastern Alps and Swiss Alps, from Conegliano, Italy, to Chamonix-Mont-Blanc, France. That’s over 21,000 meters in elevation gain. That’s 54 hours of riding without sleep. That’s like riding 8 to 10 stages of the Tour de France without stopping.
How is that even humanly possible?
Mike also rode 684 kilometers for 30 hours straight across the Pyrenees from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean. A feat rivaled only by his 33-hour, 677 kilometer ride that ascended 16,000 meters of elevation gain across the Alps.
Obviously I wouldn’t characterize Mike as normal. Far from it. But there is a very relatable everyman aspect to Mike’s story that captured my fancy.
Mike’s path has hardly been linear, but today he is not only an extraordinarily accomplished athlete, he is a respected filmmaker, brand ambassador, media & marketing consultant and entrepreneur. Through his company Media-24, Mike creates compelling content and develops marketing strategy for top tier organizations like Mavic, Cannondale and the Cannondale-Garmin professional cycling team. Mike’s latest passion project is The Col Collective, a high quality online video resource dedicated to helping inspire and educate cyclists to reach the summit of the most spectacular mountain passes in the world.
Mike’s is also a path without ego, well grounded in a true desire to educate, positively impact and inspire people to overcome their own barriers. All these elements make for great conversation about passion. About pushing past that voice in your head that wants you to quit. About what is required to break through seemingly insurmountable barriers. And about the self-discovery incident to attempting something personally unprecedented.
This is a conversation about the value and importance of hard work over the life hack. About the pain, suffering, joy and pride that comes with embracing the journey. About living in balance with nature. About faith, having a strong conviction about yourself and the path ahead. And it’s about what’s required to turn your passion into your profession.
I sincerely hope you enjoy the conversation.
Peace + Plants,
Thank you to this week’s show sponsor:
StrideHealth.com : Matching you with the best insurance for your life.
Production, music & sound design by Tyler Piatt. Additional production by Chris Swan. Graphic art by Shawn Patterson. Thanks boys!
- Connect with Mike: About.me | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Google+
- Media-24: Website | Facebook | Twitter
- The Col Collective: Website | YouTube Channel
- MBG Mastery: mindbodygreen.com/mastery
- CompetitiveCyclist.com: The Mountains Are Calling
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
1. TELL A FRIEND! (Self-explanatory)
2. SHARE ONLINE! (Also self-explanatory)
5. DOWNLOAD THE NEW MOBILE APP! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our new mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.