When it comes to vetted, peer-reviewed nutrition research, there is way more consensus than there is controversy.
Here to guide us toward an evidence-based, rational model for nutritional health and teach us how to distinguish good nutrition science is one of the world’s leading and most innovative researchers, Christopher Gardner, PhD.
Dr. Gardner is the Director of Nutrition Studies at the Stanford Prevention Research Center and a Rehnborg Farquhar Professor of Medicine at Stanford University. He’s distinguished himself for his many investigations into the potential health benefits of various dietary components and food patterns through extremely well-designed trials, and his research has provided significant and practical health insights to better inform our everyday dietary decisions.
To this end, Dr. Gardner has been researching the health effects of a plant-based diet and its components for 20 years, even extending his scientific approach to better understand a variety of ethical motivators for making positive dietary changes.
“Diet is such a huge under-appreciated, underutilized factor for preventing disease.”
– CHRISTOPHER GARDNER, PHD
In addition to discussing his career and many landmark studies, we dive into the following topics:
- What we know and don’t know about diet, weight loss, obesity, diabetes, heart & metabolic health;
- the diet wars: plant-based vs. carnivore vs. Mediterranean & low-fat vs. low carb;
- science-based protein requirements and common misconceptions;
- the importance of personalized nutrition and finding a sustainable diet for long-term success;
- what makes a rigorous scientific study and why knowing a study’s funding sources is important;
- what defines a healthy microbiome; and
- why diet is the most under-appreciated, underutilized factor in preventing disease.
Note: As mentioned in this episode, you can find Dr. Gardner’s Wheatberry Salad recipe here.
Dr. Gardner is an absolute delight. It was an honor to spend time with him. I hope you find his insights clarifying, informative, actionable—and perhaps even life-saving.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch, & Subscribe
For 1000s of delicious, customized plant-based recipes & so much more, check out our Plantpower Meal Planner.
ROKA: Cutting-edge eyewear & apparel built for top performance. Ultralight construction. Arms-Up Design. Official USAT Partner. If you’re active like me and wear prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses, ROKA combines the no-slip performance you’ve been waiting for with fashionable frames. Unlock 20% OFF your order with code RICHROLL at ROKA.com.
On: You may know On’s footwear, like the Cloudultra or Cloudmonster, but do you know On makes apparel too? From seamless tops and sweat-wicking fabrics to ultrasoft materials for comfort that lasts—even on an intense trail run. My favorites are On’s sweat-wicking Ultra T, super lightweight Zero Jacket, and breathable Ultra shorts. Discover the latest apparel collection for yourself at on.com.
AG1: 75 whole food sourced ingredients designed to optimize 5 key areas of health, AG1 is the delicious daily habit that sets you up for a healthy future. I take the packets everywhere I go. Invest in your health without compromise! Go to: drinkag1.com/richroll to get a FREE year supply of Vitamin D AND 5 free travel packs of AG1 with your first purchase.
InsideTracker: InsideTracker takes a personalized approach to health and longevity from the most trusted and relevant source: your body. Learn how to live healthier and longer by visiting insidetracker.com/richroll and use code RICHROLL to save 20% OFF the entire store.
Whoop: The 24/7 health and fitness coach that helps the best obsess over the details that matter most. WHOOP tracks your sleep, strain, recovery, stress and more to provide personalized insights that help you reach your goals. Try WHOOP for 1 MONTH FREE, and get ready to unlock the best version of yourself at WHOOP.com and use code RICHROLL to save 10% OFF your order.
Athletic Brewing crafts great tasting NA brews and refreshments you can enjoy anytime and anywhere, with no worries and best of all, no hangovers. Athletic brews a variety of styles including IPAs, goldens, extra dark brews, sours, hazys, and more—delivered right to your door. Try Athletic Brewing Co’s non-alcoholic brews for yourself at athleticbrewing.com and use code RICHROLL to get 15% OFF your first order. Near beer. Exclusions and conditions apply.
- Connect with Christopher: Twitter | LinkedIn
- Stanford: Christopher Gardner, PhD
- Stanford: Publications By Christopher Gardner, PhD
- Stanford: The Nutrition Studies Research Group
- Stanford: Prevention Research Center
- Twitter: Wheatberry Salad Recipe
- Zoe: Christopher Gardner, PhD Rehnborg Farquhar Professor of Medicine, Stanford University
- The Proof With Simon Hill: Christopher Gardner, PhD
- Medium: Food and Health: A Chat with Christopher Gardner
- The Institute For Functional Medicine: Christopher Gardner, PhD
- PubMed: Comparison of the Atkins, Zone, Ornish, and LEARN diets…
- PubMed: Effect of Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet on 12-Month Weight Loss in Overweight Adults…
- PubMed: Effect of a ketogenic diet versus Mediterranean diet…
- PubMed: A randomized crossover trial on the effect of plant-based compared with animal-based meat…
- PubMed: Dietary Protein and Amino Acids in Vegetarian Diets—A Review
- PubMed: SWAP-MEAT Athlete (study with appetizing plant-food, meat eating alternatives trial) – investigating the impact of three different diets..
- PubMed: Maximizing the intersection of human health and the health of the environment with regard to the amount and type of protein produced and consumed in the United States
- PubMed: Gut-microbiota-targeted diets modulate human immune status
- Study: Gut Microbiota-Targeted Diets Modulate Human Immune Status
There are a few simple ways you can support the show and the content we strive to craft and share every single week
Patronize Our Sponsors: Supporting the companies that support the show! For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, click the ‘Sponsors’ tab in the ‘Shop’ menu.
Spread The Word: Help grow our reach by sharing your enthusiasm for the podcast and/or your favorite episodes by posting about it on social media.
Thank The Team: I do not do this alone. Send your love to Jason Camiolo for audio engineering, production, show notes and interstitial music; with additional audio engineering by Cale Curtis and additional music by Moby; Blake Curtis & Dan Drake for video, & editing; graphics by Jessica Miranda & Daniel Solis; portraits by Davy Greenberg, Grayson Wilder & Gizelle Peters; video clips for social media are created by AJ Akpodiete; copywriting by Georgia Whaley; and theme music by Tyler Piatt, Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.
Amazon Disclosure: Third-party books and products denoted on this page and website may be hyperlinked to the Amazon affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.