Welcome to another edition of Roll On—my bi-monthly deep dive into (semi) current events, topics of audience interest, and of course answers to your questions.
Commanding co-host duties as always is my hype man Adam Skolnick, an activist and veteran journalist perhaps best known as David Goggins’ Can’t Hurt Me co-author. Adam has written about adventure sports, environmental issues and civil rights for outlets such as The New York Times, Outside, ESPN, BBC, and Men’s Health. He is the author of One Breath and is currently hard at work on a novel.
Some of the many topics explored in today’s conversation include:
- Ag-gag laws, animal agriculture surveillance, and media weaponization;
- the documentary ‘A Life On Our Planet’ — the legacy of David Attenborough;
- The problem of moderating social media content veracity & the impending election impact;
- thoughts on climate consciousness and social entrepreneurship.
In addition, we answer the following listener questions:
- How do you set healthy boundaries with alcohol?
- How do you navigate your social life alcohol-free?
- How do you break into endurance sports and create a more adventurous lifestyle?
Thank you to Cameron from Oahu, John from London, and Greg from Colorado for your questions. If you want your query discussed, drop it on our Facebook Page, or better yet leave a voicemail at (424) 235-4626.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch, & Subscribe
Birch Living: The best, most affordable, organic, and sustainable mattresses on the market with a 100 night risk-free trial. 1% of each purchase is donated to the National Forest Foundation and Birch purchases carbon offsets for each mattress sold. For $200 off ALL mattress orders, visit BirchLiving.com/RichRoll
Public Goods: One version of every essential in one place. Healthy, high quality, sustainable and affordable home goods, personal care products, and premium pantry staples. Everything is ethically sourced and free of harmful additives. The folks at Public Goods are generously giving listeners of the show $15 to spend on their first purchase — just go to publicgoods.com/RICHROLL or use code RICHROLL at checkout.
Seed: Stewarding the future of how we will use bacteria to restore and sustain human and planetary health, Seed’s Daily Synbiotic combines 24 clinically-verified, naturally-occurring, probiotic strains with plant-based prebiotics. Head on over to seed.com/RICHROLL to learn more about their game-changing Daily Synbiotic.
- Connect With Adam: Website | Instagram | Twitter
- Adam’s Books: Can’t Hurt Me | One Breath
- New York Times: The Biggest Wave Surfed This Year by Adam Skolnick
- Long Reads: The Poke Paradox by Adam Skolnick
- Sierra: The CAFO Industry’s Impact on the Environment and Public Health by Adam Skolnick
- The Intercept: New Documents Reveal How the Animal Agriculture Industry Surveils and Punishes Critics
- ‘A Life On Our Planet’ documentary: Netflix | Website
- The Guardian: David Attenborough: A Life on Our Planet review – stark climate emergency warning
- Forbes: Netflix’s ‘David Attenborough: A Life On Our Planet’ Is The Most Important Documentary Of The Year
- New York Times: Twitter Will Turn Off Some Features to Fight Election Misinformation
- New York Times: Facebook Widens Ban on Political Ads as Alarm Rises Over Election
- New York Times: To Stir Discord in 2016, Russians Turned Most Often to Facebook
- Wired: A Facebook Ban Won’t Stop QAnon
- Matt Taibbi: Substack | Twitter
- Substack: After the QAnon Ban, Who’s Next?
- New York Times: QAnon Is Thriving in Germany. The Extreme Right Is Delighted.
- thankyou: Website | YouTube
- who gives a crap: Website
- Bloomberg: The 50 Richest Americans Are Worth as Much as the Poorest 165 Million
- RRP #178: William Macaskill on ‘Effective Altruism’ & How to Maximize Positive Global Impact
- Netflix: Song Exploder
- Team USA: Sara Hall Finds Redemption And “Huge Shot Of Joy” With 2nd Place In London Marathon
- POW: Protect Our Winters
- POW: Common Ground, Narrated by Jimmy Chin
- Project Drawdown: Solutions
- Eos: 30 by 30: A Push to Protect U.S. Land and Water
- OYNB: One Year No Beer
- Tell Your Friends & Share Online
- Subscribe & Review: Apple | YouTube | Spotify | Google
- Donate: Patreon
Patronize Our Sponsors: For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, click “Sponsors” here.
Thanks to Jason Camiolo for production, audio engineering and show notes; Margo Lubin and Blake Curtis for video, editing and graphics; portraits by Ali Rogers; and theme music by Tyler Piatt. Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.