“The politicians are not the solution. You and I are the solution as consumers.”
Zach Bush MD
What if I told you that a vast number of physical maladies are caused by inflammation, the bodyʼs immune response to a multitude of stressors. The good news? If you lose the stress — hormonal, dietary, environmental, and psychological — you remove the root cause of illness.
This is but one of many fascinating ideas proffered by Zach Bush, MD – in my opinion one of the most compelling medical minds currently working to improve our understanding of human health.
The founder and current director of M Clinic in Virginia, Dr. Bush was President of his medical school class at the University of Colorado Health and later became Chief Resident for the department of Internal Medicine at the University of Virginia. Among the few physicians in the nation that is triple board certified, he completed training and certification in Internal Medicine, Endocrinology and Metabolism, as well as in Hospice and Palliative care. Dr. Bush has published peer-reviewed articles and book chapters in the areas of infectious disease, endocrinology, and cancer. Through his practice and unique methodology, he has seen significant clinical improvements in patients with everything from Leaky Gut Syndrome, Gluten Intolerance, Autism, Type 2 Diabetes, Autoimmune conditions such as Crohn’s Disease, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
I met Dr. Bush at the Conscious Capitalism Conference in Austin about six months ago. Over the course of that weekend, we had conversations that left me captivated and depsperately wanting to know more. I knew immediately he would be a phenomenal podcast guest. So here we are.
This is a wide-ranging, and at times mind-blowing conversation that explores new insights into the mechanisms behind human health and longevity. It’s about the massive and misunderstood impact of industrial farming, chemical pesticides, the pharmaceutical industry and even errant Western medical practices have on both human and planetary health.
It’s a conversation about the difference between the science of disease and the science of health. It’s about the microbiome as a critical predictor of and protector against illness. And it’s an exploration of autism, epigenetics and the mechanics of intercellular communication.
I love everything about this conversation with one caveat: we only scratched the surface of Zach’s depth of expertise. I hope to have him back to share more of his copious knowledge.
I sincerely hope you enjoy the exchange as much as I did.
Peace + Plants,
Watch & Subscribe on YouTube:
Thanks to this week’s sponsors
22 Days Nutrition: the 100% plant-based, 100% USDA certified organic nutrition products and meal delivery platform designed to meet the needs of your healthy, active life. For 10% off all products (including the meal delivery) and free shipping, visit 22daysnutrition.com/richroll and use promo code RICHROLL at checkout.
Boll & Branch: The first honest and transparent bedding company that only uses sustainable and responsible methods of sourcing and manufacturing. Go to BollandBranch.com today for $50 off your first set of sheets by typing in promo code RICHROLL at checkout
Squarespace: The easiest way to create a beautiful website, blog, or online store for you and your ideas. Save 10% at checkout when visit squarespace.com and use the coupon code “RICHROLL” at checkout.
Note: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support the sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.
Background, Context & Reference
- Connect with Zach: Website | Restore | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
- Dr. Bush’s Nutrition Clinic: M Clinic Intrinsic Health
- Documentary Series: GMO’s Revealed
- YouTube: GMO’s Revealed: Episode 1 | GMO’s Revealed
- YouTube: Dr Zac Bush – Gut/Brain Injury: How, why, and what you can do about it | AutismOne Media
- IN These Times: Monsanto’s Toxic Legacy: An Investigative Reporter Talks Glyphosate by Tracy Frisch
- Tight Junctions: Jeffrey Smith Interviews Zach Bush on Glyphosate & the Nervous System by David Roberts, MPH
- Dr Pompa: Leaky Gut: An Interview with Dr. Zach Bush by Dr. Daniel Pompa, PSc.D
- C-ville: At a rural Albemarle clinic, two doctors are teaching patients that health is in their heads by Graelyn Brashear
- Spectrum News: The Seekers: Why parents try fringe therapies for autism by Alisa Opar
- Marcela: How Soil Microbes and Intercellular Communication Affects Human Health
- Healing Earth: Why Glyphosate Is So Bad – Dr Zach Bush by JO
- Resource: All 48 Fruits and Vegetables with Pesticide Residue Data by EWG
Notable People Discussed
- Gunnar Lovelace: serial entrepreneur in nonprofits, technology, founder / Co-CEO of Thrive Market* and podcast guest
Related Podcasts You Might
- RRP #192: Robynne Chutkan, MD on Everything Microbiome
- RRP #209: Rhonda Patrick, PhD On Longevity, Epigenetics & Microbiome Health
- RRP #140: Robert Ostfeld On Eradicating Lifestyle Disease
- RRP #199: Michael Greger, MD on How Not to Die
- RRP #191:Grappling With GMOs: Daryl Wein & Zoe Lister-Jones On ‘Consumed’ — Making A Thriller Out Of The Politics Of Food
- RRP #345: Ray Cronise & Julieanna Hever On Everything Plant-Based Nutrition
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.
Support The Sponsors: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support our sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.