“Wellness isn’t about deprivation and it’s not about perfection. It is about pointing yourself in the direction of growth.”
Where do you get your protein?
Notwithstanding rising mainstream awareness that a plant-based diet provides more than enough protein for optimal health and athletic performance, every vegan continues to constantly weather this refrain.
So let’s put the issue to bed, once and for all.
To walk us through the myths, truths and half-truths when it comes to this hotly debated macronutrient, I sat down with the doyenne of all things vegan, my friend Kathy Freston.
Returning to the show for a second appearance (Kathy first appeared in RRP #109 in the Fall of 2014), Kathy is a wellness activist and 4-time New York Times bestselling author whose books include of The Lean, Veganist, and Quantum Wellness. Her newest offering, co-authored with former podcast guest Bruce Friedrich (RRP #286), is entitled Clean Protein, a comprehensive primer on all things protein with everything you need to know to get lean, gain energy, stay mentally sharp.
A media darling, Kathy is ubiquitous. Her Oprah Winfrey Show appearance inspired the great Ms. Winfrey and her entire staff of 378 to go entirely vegan for 21 days. In addition, she has been featured on Ellen, Dr. Oz, The View, Good Morning America, Charlie Rose, The Martha Stewart Show, Extra and on the pages of Vanity Fair, Harper’s Bazaar, Self, and W.
This is a conversation about the future of nutrition. It’s about the industry interests that compromise transparency and confuse consumer choice. It’s about the truth behind protein and the looming future of culture-grown, so-called clean meat.
But most of all, this is a conversation about how to eat right, live well & be kind to yourself and the world we share.
Podcast favorite Dan Buettner’s better half (although Dan is a pretty good half himself), I adore Kathy and everything she is about.
I sincerely hope you enjoy the exchange.
For the visually inclines, you can watch the podcast on YouTube here.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Thanks to this week’s sponsors
Health IQ: reward your healthy lifestyle with life insurance that makes sense & never overpay again! To learn more and get a free quote, go to HealthIQ.com/ROLL
MeUndies: This Valentine’s season, get 20% off your matching pair of the softest underwear you will ever wear, Free Shipping, and a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee when you visit MeUndies.com/roll
Quip: Your one stop solution for oral health! Buy a quip toothbrush from $25 and get up to $5 off your first refill pack by visiting getquip.com/ROLL and using promo code “ROLL” during checkout.
Note: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support the sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.
Check out Kathy’s latest book: Clean Protein: The Revolution that Will Reshape Your Body, Boost Your Energy—and Save Our Planet* with Bruce Friedrich
Background, Context & Reference
- Connect with Kathy: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
- Kathy Freston on HuffPost: huffingtonpost.com/kathyfreston
- Oprah.com: Kathy Freston on Being a Veganist
- TEDxFrement: Leaning Into Your Life: Kathy Freston
- Vanity Fair: The Vegan Monologues: A Fur Wearing Former Model Turns Pleather-Shod Vegan
- Ellen: Kathy Freston’s Appearances on The Ellen Degeneres Show
- Thrive Global: Why I Became a Clean Protein Activist
- Blue Zones: Going Veganish – 9 Questions for Kathy Freston
- Blue Zones: How Clean is Your Protein? 9 Questions for Kathy Freston and Bruce Friedrich
- Good Food Institute: Clean Protein Q&A
- One Green Planet: Protein: The Good, the Bad, and the Scary With Kathy Freston
- Vegan Magazine: Clean Protein, An Important New Book by Kathy Freston & Bruce Friedrich
Notable Books by Kathy Freston
- The Lean*
- The Book of Veganish*
- Quantum Wellness*
- Quantum Wellness Cleanse*
- Expect a Miracle: 7 Spiritual Steps to Finding the Right Relationship*
- The One: Discovering the Secrets of Soul Mate Love*
Notable People Discussed
- Dan Buettner: National Geographic Fellow, Blue Zones founder, NY Times bestselling author of The Blue Zones Solution* and (2x) podcast guest
- Bruce Friedrich: Executive director at The Good Food Institute, founding partner at New Crop Capital and podcast guest
- Ray Cronise: former NASA scientist turned innovator focused on disrupting diet and nutrition advice; podcast guest
- Dr. Garth Davis: Plant-based bariatric surgeon & author of Proteinaholic* and podcast guest
- Dr. Neal Barnard: American doctor, author, founding president of PCRM and (2x) podcast guest
- Paul Shapiro: Author of Clean Meat*, TEDx speaker, TryVeg founder and podcast guest
- Lisa Lange: Senior VP of Communications, PETA and podcast guest
- Dr. Joel Fuhrman: Physician and author of: Eat to Live*
Related Podcasts You Might
- RRP #109: Kathy Freston On Letting Go Of Perfectionism & Why We Should “Lean In” To Positive Change
- RRP #286: Bruce Friedrich is Innovating The Future of Food
- RRP #150: Garth Davis, MD On Our Misplaced Obsession With Protein
- RRP #342: What Is “Clean Meat”? Paul Shapiro On The Future Of Food
- RRP #136: Ethan Brown: Reinventing How To Feed The World
- RRP #296: Dr. Neal Barnard, M.D. On Breaking The Dairy Addiction
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.
Support The Sponsors: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support our sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.