“We often feel paralyzed by choice and make no choice. But the thing is, no choice is a choice.”
In the mid-1800’s, this radical dude living alone in the woods famously wrote, the mass of men lead lives of quite desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation.
As set forth in the enduring Walden, the words of Henry David Thoreau were revelatory for the time. But it’s an idea that more than holds up. Not only do I consider it daily, I would contend it perfectly encapsulates what has become the unfortunate, yet defining affliction of modern man.
This week’s guest has devoted his life to helping others avoid Thoreau’s foreboding lament – a self-experiment in purposeful living he calls The Art of Non-Conformity.
Ripe with wanderlust after a 4-year stint as a NGO volunteer executive in West Africa, Chris Guillebeau embarked on a multi-year quest to travel to every country in the world, all 193, before his 35th birthday. Along the way, he decided to share his adventures on a newly hatched blog. But what began as a rather ignored and somewhat turgid travelogue soon morphed into a globally revered portal chronicling the personal experience, lessons and wisdom earned and learned not just by Chris, but by a dynamic multitude of unconventional people overcoming conventional social mores around work, life and travel to achieve personal goals and greater life satisfaction.
The blog exploded, capturing the intrigue, trust and fascination of people all across the world thirsty for the brass tacks steps and inspiration required to pursue more adventurous and personally fulfilling means of working and living outside traditional paradigms.
With the success of the blog, it’s not surprising that books soon followed. The Art of Non-Conformity was translated into more than twenty languages. His second book, The $100 Startup, was a New York Times and Wall Street Journal bestseller, selling more than 500,000 copies worldwide. His third book, The Happiness of Pursuit, was also a New York Times bestseller. His most recent book, Born for This, will help you find the work you were meant to do.
When he’s not writing bestselling books or traveling to parts unknown, you’re likely to find Chris diligently working on his World Domination Summit — an annual gathering he founded six years ago that brings thousands of creative, remarkable people together.
Everybody loves a good travel hack. The basic steps to launch a new business. Or the path to overnight success. If you’re looking for Chris’ answers to those questions, you’re in the wrong place.
I’m more interested in the man behind the work. What makes Chris tick. How he sees himself in the world. And how that perspective infuses his life with purpose, community, service and the strength required to continually grow and evolve.
Specific topics explored include:
- inspiring people to live unconventional lives
- aspiration vs. inspiration
- following through with the journey
- the blogosphere, ideas, and community
- Chris’ unconventional quest
- selfish generosity
- what is your guiding principle?
- following your passion through exploration
- coping with grief & loss
- self-help, authenticity, and transparency
- perceiving alignment/balance
- passion vs. obsession
- serving, strengthening, and cultivating community
Beyond the bullet points, this one’s special — honest, raw and real. My favorite kind of exchange. When the dust settled, I felt like I found a new friend.
I sincerely hope you enjoy the conversation.
Peace + Plants,
Limited spaces are still available for our next retreat — for info visit plantpowerworld.com
Check out Julie’s new podcast divine throughline
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
Harrys.com: A superior shave at an affordable price. Friends of the Rich Roll Podcast can visit Harrys.com/ROLL to redeem your Free Trial Set, which comes with a razor, five-blade cartridge, shaving gel, and post shave gel. All you pay is just shipping.
Background, Context & Reference
- Connect With Chris: Website | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook
- World Domination Summit: worlddominationsummit.com
- CBSNews: Raising kids at sea: Meet the Parkers by Natalie Jimenez
- 99U: Chris Guillebeau: Balanced People Don’t Change the World by Jocelyn K. Glei
- CreativeLive: Hack Your Way To A Vacation by Chris Guillebeau
- ChrisGuillebeau: 2015 Annual Review: Looking Forward To 2016 (Ready Or Not!)
- Entrepreneur: Chris Guillebeau Escaped FedEx to Travel the World and Write Bestsellers
- Teachable: 7 Step Guide to Getting Published with Chris Guillebeau by Morgan Timm
- PasteMag: Escape Artist Q&A: Chris Guillebeau of The Art of Non-Conformity Blog by Carolyn Crist
- LiveMint: Chris Guillebeau: Don’t settle or trade-off by Pooja Singh
Notable Works/Books Discussed in today’s podcast
- Chris’ 1st manifesto: A Brief Guide To World Domination
- Chris’ 2nd manifesto: 279 Days To Overnight Success
- Chris’ 3rd manifesto: The Tower
- The Art of Non-Conformity* by Chris Guillebeau
- The $100 Startup* by Chris Guillebeau
- The Happiness of Pursuit* by Chris Guillebeau
- Born For This* by Chris Guillebeau
- Wishcraft: How to Get What You Really Want* by Barbara Sher
- Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, a Man Who Would Cure the World* by Tracy Kidder
- Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity* by David Allen
Notable People Discussed In Today’s Podcast
- Scott Jurek: ultramarathoner, author of Eat & Run* and public speaker
- Scott Harrison: a former club promoter who is the founder and current CEO of the non-profit charity: water
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy
- RRP 074: Leveraging Mindfulness To Change Your Life with Jonathan Fields
- RRP 075: James Altucher on Why You Should Choose Yourself
- RRP 148: Daniel Pinchbeck On Evolving Consciousness
- RRP 178: Doing Good Better: William MacAskill On ‘Effective Altruism’ & How To Maximize Positive Global Impact
Thanks to Jason Camiolo for production, interstitial music and audio engineering; Chris Swan for production assistance & show notes; Shawn Patterson for graphics.
*Disclosure:Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Plantpower Way is available at these fine retailers!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our brand new Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.