Not only is Roni Selig one of my favorite people, she is one busy woman, so I am honored that she carved out some quality time to sit down with me and do the podcast in the midst of her immersive (to put it mildly) work schedule at CNN, where she has the heady title of Director of the CNN Medical, Health & Wellness Unit in CNN’s New York City headquarters high above Columbus Circle.
In certain respects, I suppose this makes her Sanjay Gupta’s boss — heavy, right? To provide some perspective, we were meant to conduct this interview about a month ago. But as we sat in her office catching up prior to potting the mics, the Boston Marathon bombing occurred, and I had the rare opportunity to watch her — and her team at the world’s leading 24-hour international news network — jump into action to begin covering the unbelievably tragic events as they unfolded in real time. It was impressive. But needless to say, the horrible events of that day prevented the podcast from happening. Lucky for me, I was back in NYC a month later. No crazy breaking news that day, so we got it done.
Compelling is the fact that despite the time constraints and pressures of her incredibly demanding job — amplified by her busy personal life as a wife and mother — Roni still manages to find the time to pursue her passion — triathlon — and pursue it well.
We get into all aspects of her professional life — behind the scenes at CNN Health; plus how she balances her personal life to train and compete as a high level age group endurance athlete, and her passion for CNN Fit Nation — a program she oversees that involves a small group of civilians (hand selected annually from submissions) facing personal challenges committed to completing their first triathlon under the mentorship of CNN.
All said, Roni is a delight and an inspiration. I hope you enjoy the interview as much as I (always) enjoy spending time with her.
FINDING ULTRA PAPERBACK IN TIME FOR FATHER’S DAY
Hey – you gotta get dear old dad something for Father’s Day, right? Well, I have just the thing. Finding Ultra* just hit bookstores and online retailers in paperback. And it’s cheap – just $12.45 on Amazon*. What the heck, right? That’s like a one cold pressed juice at Whole Foods; and will hopefully be even a bit more nourishing. Then tell a friend.
As always, thank you for all the ongoing support. You guys are everything.
- CNN Health – CNNHealth.com
- “Why I Became a Triathlete” by Roni Selig for CNN
- CNN Fit Nation – The 6-Pack!
- Grand Fondo New York: Roni’s Fundraising Page for Challenged Athletes Foundation
- Roni on Twitter: @roniselig
- Roni on Facebook
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
1. TELL A FRIEND! (Self-explanatory)
2. SHARE ONLINE! (Also self-explanatory)
5. DOWNLOAD THE NEW MOBILE APP! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our new mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.
Thanks for listening!