“Being grateful is the bridge between the world of nightmares and the world where we are free to say no. It’s the bridge between the world of delusions and the world of creativity. It’s the power that brings death back to life, the power that turns poverty to wealth and anger to compassion…”
I’m so intimidated.
This week Julie and I are joined by the dynamic duo of the Choose Yourself era themselves, James and Claudia Altucher — a prolific couple changing the world with insights that are empowering millions to live more dynamic, authentic lives.
When someone fires off a long list of occupations in conversation, my instinct tells me that person probably isn’t great at any of them. James is not that guy. Abundant in talent. A true polymath with just the right amount of self-deprecation and pitch perfect comedic timing. Blogger, bestselling author, podcaster, public speaker, investor, entrepreneur, columnist, and humorist, he seemingly does it all.
Oh yeah, he’s also a nationally ranked chess master.
James had made millions, lost millions and made millions again. Maybe he’ll lose it again. I don’t know. He’s started and run something like 20 companies. Then there’s a slew of venture capital, hedge, angel and sundry other funds he ran. Maybe he still runs them. I don’t know that either. In fact, I don’t understand any of it.
James’ Altucher Confidential is one of the most widely read blogs on the internet, amassing over 15 million readers since its 2010 inception.
The James Altucher Show debuted as the #1 podcast on all of iTunes last year.
I think he’s written 13 books. It could be 16. I can’t keep track. He writes faster than I can read.
My favorite is the Wall Street Journal Best Seller Choose Yourself. A primer for anyone seeking firmer control of destiny, it’s a prescient and highly entertaining look at how new and unprecedented tools, technology and economic forces have suddenly emerged to make it possible for individuals to create art, careers, success, fulfillment and change the world without permission from the gatekeepers of yore.
When you finish that book, then read The Power of No — also a Wall Street Journal Best Seller. Two things you need to know about this book: (1) it’s really great; and (2) learning how and when to say no is, like, really important.
Wait, there’s a third thing: it was co-authored by James’ wife Claudia.
In many ways James’ perfect match, the Argentinian-born Claudia is also a widely acclaimed multi-hyphenate. Writer, podcaster and yoga aficionado, she has written or co-written three books, including the recently released Become An Idea Machine. You can find her Yoga Podcast on iTunes and read her musings at ClaudiaYoga.com. But I don’t know how much longer she can keep this up because any day now she’s going to be named the new CEO of Twitter.
Am I joking? Read this and you tell me.
The only thing? None of us had ever met in person. Until now.
Wonder twin powers activate!
I’m not sure whose podcast we did. We just hit record and started freestyling. I thought we were interviewing James and Claudia but now I think I have it all backwards.
Let’s call it a crosscast.
Here’s just a few of the many subjects that came up:
- cultivating positive relationships with your children
- the power of vulnerability
- divine love vs. human love
- the importance of support systems
- creating success doing what you love
- the importance of relevance
- navigating negativity through meditation and service
- practicing neutral compassion
James and Claudia are special people. Listen in and I’ll think you’ll agree.
Peace + Plants,
Background, Context & Reference:
- The James Altucher Show (Podcast)
- The Yoga Podcast with Claudia Altucher
- TEDxSanDiego: Choose Yourself with James Altucher
- Forbes: James Altucher: Now Is The Best Time To Be An Entrepreneur
- TechCrunch: Articles by James Altucher
- HuffPo: Articles by James Altucher
- LinkedIn: 10 Reasons I Must Be CEO of Twitter: Si! by Claudia Azula Altucher
- Observer: The Six Things the Most Productive People Do Every Day
- Choose Yourself* by James Altucher
- The Power Of No* by James & Claudia Azula Altucher
- The Choose Yourself Guide To Wealth* by James Altucher
- Become An Idea Machine* by Claudia Azula Altucher
- I Was Blind But Now I See* by James Altucher
- 21 Things To Know Before Starting An Ashtanga Yoga Practice* by Claudia Azula Altucher
- Julie’s Jai Release Meditation Program
- Julie’s music (aka SriMati) on CDBaby
Notable People Discussed in today’s podcast:
- RRP 75: James Altucher on Why You Should Choose Yourself
- RRP 159: Rich & Julie on Ask Me Anything
- The James Altucher Show: Rich Roll – Stop Killing Yourself
- The Yoga Podcast: The Plantpower Way With Julie Piatt
- Ask Altucher 295 – Yesterday, James’ Identity Was Stolen
Production, music & sound design by Tyler Piatt. Additional production by Chris Swan. Graphic art by Shawn Patterson.
*Disclosure:Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Plantpower Way is now available at these fine retailers!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our new mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.