Chances are you’ve heard the term Blue Zones, coined in reference to five hidden slivers of the world that boast the highest per capita populations of centenarians — people who thrive to 100 and beyond.
Places where people forgot to die.
This is the work of Dan Buettner.
A true renaissance man, Dan is a National Geographic Fellow, longevity expert and world explorer with 3 endurance cycling world records to his name. A multiple New York Times bestselling author, he’s a seemingly constant presence on the TODAY show, has appeared on Oprah twice and has been profiled on every respected global media outlet, from CNN to David Letterman.
Over the last decade Dan has delivered more than 500 keynotes, including speeches for Bill Clinton’s Health Matters Initiative, Google Zeitgeist, and TEDMED. His TED Talk “How to live to be 100+” has been viewed over 4 million times.
The Blue Zones Kitchen is Dan’s latest New York Times bestseller. Technically a cookbook with over 100 recipes inspired by decades of research studying Blue Zones cultures, Dan elevates the genre with extraordinary photography and an anthropologist’s lens on the specific foods, cooking methods and lifestyle practices proven to increase longevity, wellness, and mental health.
”Having a sense of purpose really does make a big difference when it comes to longevity, probably eight extra years in life expectancy.DAN BUETTNER
In addition, Dan is the founder of Blue Zones Project, a community well-being improvement initiative designed to help people live longer and better through community transformation programs that lower healthcare costs, improve productivity, and boost national recognition as great places to live, work, and play.
Long time listeners will remember Dan’s podcast debut (RRP #139), where we explored Dan’s adventurous backstory, his fascination with longevity and the research behind all things Blue Zones.
Our second conversation (RRP #323) focused on the nature of not only living long, but living well — a dissection of the habits and practices that produce that which we seek most — happiness.
Today we synthesize all of it in a primer on how to live a long and fulfilling life.
The more things for which you develop a fondness the richer the life you live.
– DAN BUETTNER
Not surprisingly, it begins with food. It extends to building better communities. It’s underscored by finding purpose. And sharing what you’ve learned for the betterment of others.
Hero, friend and mentor, Dan is a true visionary whose life and work has positively, permanently and quite unequivocally improved the well being of millions.
I love this man. I aspire to his level of impact. And it’s an honor to share his powerful message with you today. May you take his wisdom to heart.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch, & Subscribe
For 1000s of delicious, customized plant-based recipes & so much more, check out our Plantpower Meal Planner.
Check out Dan’s latest, The Blue Zones Kitchen: 100 Recipes to Live to 100*
- Connect With Dan: Blue Zones Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
- Book: The Blue Zones* by Dan Buettner
- Book: The Blue Zones Solution* by Dan Buettner
- Book: The Blue Zones of Happiness* by Dan Buettner
- TED Talk: Dan Buettner: How to Live to 100+
- National Geographic: These Are the World’s Happiest Places
- National Geographic: These traditional diets can lead to long lives
- TODAY: What’s the Secret To Happiness? Author Dan Buettner Reveals The Answer
- NY Times: The Island Where People Forgot to Die
- NY Times: My Dinner With Longevity Expert Dan Buettner (No Kale Required)
- Men’s Journal: 9 Things Centenarians Do Regularly That Promote Longevity
- TODAY: Tips for living a longer, healthier life
- TODAY: Can the ‘Blue Zones’ lifestyle help Americans live past 100? This group tried it
- TODAY: 4 recipes from around that world that could help you live longer
- TODAY: ‘The Blue Zones Kitchen’ collects recipes of the world’s oldest people
- Tell Your Friends & Share Online
- Subscribe & Review: Apple | YouTube | Spotify | Google
- Donate: Patreon
Patronize Our Sponsors: For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, click “Sponsors” here.
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.