I’ve got news for you people. Like it or not, the holiday season is upon us.
That special time of year when we tend to overeat, overspend and simply overindulge in everything across the board, all in the name of celebratory merriment. When we’re not charging it on the card or spread paper thin desperately trying to fulfill all the expectations presented, we find ourselves weathering an unnatural battery of social engagements, not to mention the myriad of emotionally hyper-charged landmines presented by extended family get togethers.
The result? A massive and unnatural outpouring of energy that leaves us utterly depleted — spit out the other side physically and emotionally exhausted to the core, all too often overweight and riddled with unnecessary debt.
What if we could approach and experience the holiday season differently? What if we could revel in the pure joy of the season and emerge in January not just intact but truly enriched — optimistic, feeling great and energized for all the challenges and adventures presented with the birth of a new year?
Today on the show, Julie and I sit down to hash out all things holiday season with a focus on providing helpful, experience-based strategies to assist in managing the financial pitfalls, dietary challenges, precarious social environments and heightened emotional states presented by this unique time of year. In my experience, these are issues common to us all. And yet issues we go to great lengths to avoid dealing with internally, let alone discussing outwardly — typically out of fear, shame or simply a profound need to keep up appearances — all of which ultimately leaves us feeling alone and isolated in what for many can become a state of true emotional crisis. In truth, the exact opposite of what the holidays should be all about.
So rather than deny or repress, let’s talk about it. Get it all out in the open. And work on a strategy for a different, positive and uplifting experience. On today’s agenda:
- How to avoid spending money you don’t have;
- How to maintain a healthy PlantPowered Diet throughout the season;
- How to experience gift giving with children in a different way;
- How to navigate and avoid emotional landmines with extended family;
- How to say “No” to certain social obligations; and
- How to nuture and preserve your physical, emotional & spiritual well being under pressure.
In honor of this week’s episode and the commencement of the holiday season, we will be publishing a new post each day over the next several days, including the below listed holiday recipes discussed in our conversation.
So make sure you continue to drop in throughout the week for the good stuff. Here’s the schedule:
- How To Maintain Emotional & Financial Sanity During the Holidays- Tuesday 11/12/13
- PlantPower Holiday Cooking: Gluten Free Vegan Stuffing Recipe- Wednesday 11/13/13
- PlantPower Holiday Cooking: Vegan Mushroom Gravy Recipe- Thursday 11/14/13
- PlantPower Holiday Cooking: Vegan Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes Recipe- Friday 11/15/15
- PlantPower Holiday Cooking: Almost Raw Vegan Pumpkin Pie Recipe- Saturday 11/16/13
- PlantPower Holiday Cooking: Cranberry Sauce Recipe- Sunday 11/17/13
We hope you enjoy the show!
Photo Credit: Maclay Heriot
Podcast Piano Composition: Tyler Piatt
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
1. TELL A FRIEND! (Self-explanatory)
2. SHARE ONLINE! (Also self-explanatory)
5. DOWNLOAD THE NEW MOBILE APP! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our new mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.
Thanks for listening and thanks for the support!