“Diseases of the soul are more dangerous and more numerous than those of the body.”
We’re back with yet another installment of Ask Me Anything — a twist on my normal format where we answer questions submitted by you, the listener.
In this week’s installment, Julie and I discuss my recent visit to Beirut to run the marathon and then take two listener questions. First we discuss blogger Jordan Younger’s battle with orthorexia and her decision to let go of her vegan identity. Then, in honor of Veteran’s Day, we discuss a soldier’s struggle with PTSD and the journey to self-forgiveness.
Specific topics include:
- why go all the way to Beirut to run a marathon?
- running for peace in the Middle East
- what is orthorexia?
- the nexus between eating disorders & trauma
- when wellness becomes illness
- the prison of identity labels
- a veteran’s struggle with PTSD
- the journey to self-forgiveness
- making peace with the self in the wake of violence
Thank you to all the veterans out there for your selfless service. This episode is dedicated to those that suffer daily the trauma of that experience. A related podcast on the subject of veteran’s issues and PTSD that you might enjoy is my conversation with Jason Hall, the screenwriter of American Sniper — RRP 130: Finding Purpose in Tragedy.
Thanks to everyone who submitted inquiries — keep ‘em coming!
I sincerely hope you enjoy the conversation.
Peace + Plants,
Background, Context & Reference:
- TODAY: Blogger Jordan Younger Reveals How Extreme ‘Clean Eating’ Almost Killed Her
- TED: May El Khalil: Making Peace Is A Marathon
- Book: Oneness* by Rasha
- Julie’s music (aka SriMati) on CDBaby
- Julie’s Jai Release Meditation
- Finding Ultra* by Rich Roll
- The Plantpower Way* by Rich Roll & Julie Piatt
Production, music & sound design by Tyler Piatt. Additional production by Chris Swan. Graphic art by Shawn Patterson.
*Disclosure:Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Plantpower Way is available at these fine retailers
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!