We need more doctors in the world like Dr. Frank Lipman.
Western medicine is astounding when it comes to treating acute, isolated conditions — a catastrophic injury, an arterial blockage or a serious infection, for example. But how does it fare when it comes to preventing disease, particularly chronic illnesses like diabetes, heart disease, obesity and countless other conditions sweeping the globe like a modern day plague? Well, not so well. On this I think we can all agree.
On that note, when was the last time your doctor focused his inquiry on things like increasing energy levels and general vitality, elevating mood, sustaining optimal body weight, or enhancing mental acuity and focus? Not recently I would imagine, if ever. He or she might advise you to reduce the stress in your life, “eat better” and/or “start taking care of yourself” — but these proclamations are rarely combined with an actual specific protocol to implement. And that, my friends is a shame.
Dr. Lipman is working to break this paradigm. Early in his medical career, he began to see that the polarization between western modalities and other healing philosophies merely negated positive attributes of both. He began to see that true healing lay in a blend between the two. He now practices his unique method of what he calls “Good Medicine”, which merges the best of the west with many traditions more eastern or alternative in origin — a holistic form of medicine that is truly unique and integrative in its approach to patients. It’s for this reason he has become the go-to, in-demand doctor for the celebrated — people like Donna Karan, Kevin Bacon, Gwenyth Paltrow, Peter Sarsgaard & Maggie Gyllenhaal.
If pharmaceuticals are truly in order to rectify an acute medical issue, he is happy to prescribe. But disease management isn’t what gets him out of bed every morning excited about life. Instead, it’s taking the time to evaluate each patient as a complex web of interdependent systems, with a keen lens focused on disease prevention. The idea is to optimize the quality of his patients’ lives through implementing techniques such as acupuncture; Chinese, herbal & functional medicine; nutrition; biofeedback; meditation; and yoga.
When was the last time your doctor prescribed you to go to yoga? It’s never happened to me, and I live in LA.
In short, Dr. Lipman’s ultimate goal for all his patients is simple: sustained, long-term, optimal wellness.
Sustained, long-term, optimal wellness.
If you know me, then you know I’m all about this subject. So it was an honor and a treat to sit down with Dr. Lipman in his office at Eleven Eleven Wellness Center in the Flatiron District of Manhattan — with its soothing meditation retreat / yoga studio vibe — where he generously offered up his perspective on medicine & the medical profession, nutrition & food allergies, and the types of things we can and should all focus on more intently if we want to maximize our “wellness” in the truest sense of this all-too often over-hyped word.
I hope you enjoy the enlightening conversation. Leave a comment below and let me know what you think. And don’t forget to give Tyler — my trusty podcast producer and stepson — a nice shoutout for all his hard work not just putting today’s show together, but for all his amazing original music compositions that accompany the interview. Thanks Ty!
- Eleven Eleven Wellness Center
- Dr. Lipman’s BeWell Cleanse Products & Supplements
- Revive: Stop Feeling Spent and Start Living Again* by Frank Lipman MD
- Total Renewal: 7 Key Steps to Resilience, Vitality & Long-Term Health* by Frank Lipman MD
- TEDxLowerEastSide: Breaking the Shackles of Apartheid in Medicine
- NY TIMES: Here’s to Good Health (but no Toast)
- WELL+GOOD: A Frank Account: Dr. Frank Lipman is New York City’s Wellness Evangelist
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
1. TELL A FRIEND! (Self-explanatory)
2. SHARE ONLINE! (Also self-explanatory)
5. DOWNLOAD THE NEW MOBILE APP! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our new mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.
Thanks for listening and thanks for the support!