The lovely and powerful Julie Piatt— my sometime co-host and all-time wife — returns to the show today to share some interesting perspectives on children’s education — more specifically, homeschooling. And even more specifically, the Unschooling method of homeschooling.
I know. It’s controversial. I get it. But the subject also brings to mind one of my favorite quotes from one of the brightest minds of Victorian England – scientist, philosopher and theologian Herbert Spencer. It appears in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, and goes like this:
“There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance — that principle is contempt prior to investigation.”
Translation – listen with an open mind. Because growth, change and expansion cannot occur without doing so.
Other topics on today’s episode agenda include:
My increased involvement in an exciting new documentary project entitled Game Changers about plant-based athletes, currently in production — produced by former podcast guest James Wilks ( Episode 16 ) and some of the people that brought you Forks Over Knives ;
Witnessing Patrik Baboumian’s world record-setting strongman lift & carry in Toronto;
My impending visits to Karachi, Bahrain and Casablanca to spread the PlantPower message;
Creating a PlantPower Halloween Movement; and
Beyond Meat’s quest to disrupt Big Food with its perfect plant-based chicken and beef alternatives.
During our conversation, Julie references Sir Ken Robinson and his opinions about our education system. I can’t urge you strongly enough to take a few minutes to watch his powerful TED Talk on how schools kill creativity. There is a reason it’s the most watched TED Talk of all time (almost 18 million views), so please take the time to open your mind to this:
And here’s my view through my trusty GoPro of Vegan Strongman Patrik Baboumian carrying 1216 pounds for 10 meters, breaking a Guinness Book of World Record for most weight ever lifted by a human being – ever.
- “Game Changers” documentary featured in Queens Courier: http://queenscourier.com/2013/vegan-arm-wrestler-wants-to-bust-myth-that-men-need-to-eat-meat/
- Unschooling – Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unschooling
- Sir Ken Robinson’s TED Talk: How Schools Kill Creativity: http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html
- Zen Habits: http://zenhabits.net/
- Unschoolery: http://unschoolery.com/
- Beyond Meat: http://beyondmeat.com/
- WIRED Magazine: Tastes Like Chicken, by Alton Brown: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/09/fakemeat/
- Vegan Patrik Baboumian Breaks World Record for Most Weight Ever Carried: http://youtu.be/aL4lb6IevWw
- DC VegFest: http://dcvegfest.com/
- The Osher Günsberg Podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-osher-gunsberg-podcast/id711028488?mt=2
- Sid Garza-Hillman’s Approaching the Natural Podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/approaching-natural-podcast/id705700222?mt=2
- Julie’s Music Website: SriMati Music: http://www.srimatimusic.com
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
1. TELL A FRIEND! (Self-explanatory)
2. SHARE ONLINE! (Also self-explanatory)
5. DOWNLOAD THE NEW MOBILE APP! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our new mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.
Thanks for listening and thanks for the support!