Sure, you’ve seen him on shows like CSI and Gilmore Girls. But today’s guest isn’t just another actor. He can do some amazing things you can’t. Very specific things, albeit obscure. Like hold his breath for a full seven minutes. Or swim 218 meters underwater along the bottom of a pool without coming up for air — not a single breath.
Welcome to the mind-blowing world of Freediving, explained through the lens of one of the best in the sport — Australian National Record Holding Champion Tanc Sade.
One of the things I love about the podcast is the excuse to meet compelling people doing amazing things outside the mainstream — things I would ordinarily never come across in my daily life and yet find utterly compelling. Freediving certainly fits the bill — a sport that couldn’t be more different from endurance athletics and yet in certain respects still shares a commonality.
Although the pursuit of excellence in any sport (as in life) require a strong mental game, Freediving requires unparallelled mental & emotional preparation. Learning to control the flexibility of not just your body or your thoughts but even your metabolic process through advanced meditation techniques. Getting there is the fascinating part, and Tanc shows us how he does it, and why.
And that’s just the beginning. No spoilers. Just sit back. Listen. And let Tanc blow your mind.
In the interim — and to just paint the picture for you about what we are talking about here — have a look at Tanc’s 218-meter Australian national record-setting effort – an event called “Dynamic Apnea”:
NOTE: Tanc is a professional. You are not. So no matter how inspired you may be by this interview, please DO NOT attempt your own half-baked unsupervised freediving experiment at home — any type of breath hold work unsupervised can cause death. If you are interested in learning more about the sport, research freediving courses and/or clubs in your locale and undertake proper instruction from someone skilled in this discipline. And if you have additional questions, reach out Tanc on Facebook and he would be happy to advise and guide you in the right direction.
PHOTO CREDITS: The trailer video thumbnail image of Tanc is by Mike Raabe. The green-tinted image is by Gregg Porteous. The 2nd image is by Daan Verhoeven. The remaining three images all by Mike Raabe.
- Tanc Sade on Facebook: facebook.com/sadetanc
- Tanc on Twitter: twitter.com/TancSade
- Tanc’s Filmography: imdb.com/name/nm1625746/?ref_=sr_1
- AIDA International: aidainternational.org/
- Tanc’s Blog “Dysfunctional Bachelor”: dysfunctionalbachelor.wordpress.com/
- Five Island Films: fiveislandfilms.com/index2.html
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
1. TELL A FRIEND! (Self-explanatory)
2. SHARE ONLINE! (Also self-explanatory)
5. DOWNLOAD THE NEW MOBILE APP! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our new mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.
Thanks for listening and thanks for the support!