“If you have a spiritual life, it is for you. It is not something you should inflict on other people.”
Every podcaster has their dream list — guests they fantasize interviewing. From day one, today’s guest has occupied my top slot.
Officially, Russell Brand is one of the most recognizable and best-loved comedy performers in the world. He is also is also a phenomenally successful author, broadcaster, actor, columnist, political commentator and mental health & drug rehabilitation activist. His global bestselling books include Revolution*, Recovery: Freedom from Our Addictions*, and his latest release, Mentors: How to Help and Be Helped*. Now a devoted dad and husband, when he isn’t touring or performing he can be found hosting Under The Skin on Luminary, one of my very favorite podcasts.
Unofficially, Russell is iconic for his very public awakening. A recovering heroin addict, his struggles with drugs, sex, fame, money and power were custom tailored for tabloid fodder. And his satirical but always probing takes on politics, celebrity culture and religion often find him in the crosshairs of controversy.
I think of Russell as a hyper-intelligent master of modern discourse and disputation. Perpetually armed with a most delicious turn-of-phrase, he is a philosopher of the extreme. A man who has voyaged to the brink of overindulgence, he has returned to share the unique personal wisdom gleaned from such surfeit with razor-sharp musings on the broader humanity we collectively share — and have a laugh along the path.
With a sui generis brew of eccentric wit, subversive candor and extreme charm, Russell grapples fearlessly and out loud with that which lays beneath the surface. With the ideas that define our time. Of the history we are told. And the ulterior truth behind our constructed reality.
What is truly real? How can we craft a more fair and just society for all? How can we live a more intentional life of meaning? What does it mean be a spiritual being in a human existence?
Today we voyage beyond the walls of our constructed material world. We dive into The Matrix. And to coin Russell’s phrase, lick the walls of the hologram.
I’m absolutely delighted by this magical, modern-day mystic.
Once a dream, this conversation is now a tangible reality. Or is it?
Either way, I sincerely hope you relish the conversation as much as I adored having it.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Thanks to this week’s sponsors
Four Sigmatic: A superfood company popularizing medicinal mushrooms by incorporating them in delicious mainstream products like coffee and hot cocoa. Visit foursigmatic.com/roll and enter the promo code ROLL at the checkout and save 15% on EVERY order.
Calm: The #1 App for Meditation and Sleep with 100+ guided meditations covering anxiety, focus, stress, sleep, relationships and more. Plus 7-day and 21-day programs for both beginner and advanced users. For a limited time, my listeners can get 25% off a Calm Premium subscription at Calm.com/richroll. It includes unlimited access to ALL of Calm’s amazing content. Get started today.
Note: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support the sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.
Check out Russell’s latest book: Mentors: How to Help and Be Helped*
Background, Context & Reference:
- Connect With Russell: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube
- Podcast: Under The Skin With Russell Brand
- Netflix Original: Russell Brand Re:Birth
- Filmography: Russell Brand | IMDb
- The New York Times: With Big Stars and Paid Subscriptions, Luminary Aims to Be the Netflix of Podcasts
- Los Angeles Times: Russell Brand on how he pulled his life together after heroin addiction
- The Atlantic: The Wisdom of Russell Brand
- Vanity Fair: Russell Brand, Seriously
- Plant Based News: ‘What The Health’ Co-Director Discusses Veganism On Russell Brand’s Latest Podcast
- Plant Based News: Vegan Russell Brand ‘Nudged’ Back Into Veganism By Meat And Dairy Lobbyists
- HBO Series: Ballers
- Books: Robert Johnson: Set of Three Books: He, She, and We*
Books By Russell Brand:
Notable People Discussed:
- Stephen & David Flynn (a.k.a. The Happy Pear): authors, entrepreneurs, wellness activists and multiple podcast guests
- Kip Andersen: filmaker; Cowspiracy and What The Health co-director and 2x podcast guest
- David Lynch: filmmaker, painter, musician, actor, photographer and David Lynch Foundation founder
- William Griffith Wilson: also known as Bill Wilson or Bill W., was the co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous
- Mātā Amritānandamayī Devī: better known simply as Amma (“Mother”), is a Hindu spiritual leader and guru who is revered as a saint by her followers
- Paramahansa Yogananda: was an Indian yogi and guru, author of Autobiography of a Yogi* which is on the list of the “100 best spiritual books of the 20th Century”
- Srila Prabhupada: was a Vedic spiritual teacher (guru) and the founder preceptor (Acharya) of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness. (ISKCON), commonly known as the “Hare Krishna Movement”
- Eckhart Tolle: author, spiritual teacher and public speaker
Joseph Campbell: was an American Professor of Literature at Sarah Lawrence College who worked in comparative mythology and comparative religion. His work covers many aspects of the human experience
- Terence McKenna: was an American ethnobotanist, mystic, psychonaut, lecturer, author, and an advocate for the responsible use of naturally occurring psychedelic plants
- Professor Brian Cox: English physicist / TV Host who serves as professor of particle physics in the School of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Manchester
- Joe Rogan: host of the JRE Podcast, stand-up comedian and retired martial artist
- Tony Robbins: motivational speaker, personal finance instructor and self-help author
- Bikram Choudhury: yoga teacher and the founder of Bikram Yoga, a form of hot. After several lawsuits were filed against him alleging sexual assault and various forms of discrimination against racial and sexual minorities, courts in 2017 awarded ownership of Bikram Yoga to former employee Minakshi ‘Micki’ Jafa-Bodden after Choudhury fled from the United States to India
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy:
- RRP #441: Pete Holmes: Comedy! Sex! God!
- RRP #372: Strength In Stillness: Bob Roth On The Power Of Transcendental Meditation & Bringing Calm To The Center Of Life’s Storm
- RRP #179: From A Life of Matter to A Life That Matters: Jason Garner’s Journey from Music Industry CEO to Spiritual Warrior
- RRP #398: Jamie Dornan & Sacha Gervasi On The Delusion Of Celebrity & The Life Of Hervé
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account
Download Our Free App: Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements.
Support The Sponsors: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support our sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.