“If you’re a professional athlete, and after the game you’re eating at the same place that somebody in the audience is eating at? You’re making a mistake.”
It’s one thing when a skinny runner dude starts talking about the benefits of a plant-based diet.
It’s another thing altogether when a 6′ 11″ 4-time NBA Champion tells you it’s a good idea.
Enter John Salley.
Husband, father, athlete, actor, entrepreneur, talk show host, philanthropist, wellness advocate, NBA champion… and vegan.
John was the first basketball player in NBA history to win four championships with three different teams in three different decades — two with the Detroit Pistons (’89 & ’90), one with the Chicago Bulls (’96) & one more with the Los Angeles Lakers (’00). After eleven seasons he retired as a Laker on the 2000 NBA Lakers Championship team. Since his retirement from the NBA, John has worked consistently in television, film, radio, print and new media. For seven years he co-hosted the Emmy-nominated series The Best Damn Sports Show Period (FOX). He then hosted BET’s sports talk show Baller before creating his own show Game On for REELZ. In addition, John is an avid entrepreneur, channeling his enthusiasm for clean eating & advocacy for the vegan lifestyle into an array of ventures, including The Vegan Vine, his California wine brand (who knew some wine wasn’t vegan?), and his Betta Life 21-Day Challenge.
John’s mission is simple: to educate as many people as possible on the health and environmental benefits of a plant-based lifestyle.
This is a fairly free range conversation that takes us inside John’s NBA career; what it was like to play ball at the highest level with guys like Michael Jordan, Isaiah Thomas and Shaq; and how being coached by Phil Jackson, perhaps the greatest coach in basketball history, helped forge his character and inform his post-NBA career success.
We get into the hows and whys of John’s decision to go vegan; his opinion on how most professional athletes eat; why so many professional athletes die young; how he works with both athletes and average folks to change misplaced, normative ideas about the plant-based lifestyle; the importance of yoga and meditation in his routine; and what drives his mission to change the face of global health. A few more topics covered include:
- forging normative change by example
- the link between cancer & diet
- plant-based nutrition for athletes
- the importance of stepping stone goals
- warning the NBA about the nutrition risks
- millennial adaptation to technology
- making money while you sleep
- the benefits of meditation
- John’s stellar NBA career
- Coach Phil Jackson & team dynamics
- fragility of reputation & Big Brother
John is an easy guy to love. He is engaging, incredibly charismatic and always entertaining. But behind the playful attitude is a serious message worth heeding.
I sincerely hope you enjoy the exchange.
Peace + Plants,
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
Squarespace.com: The easiest way to create a beautiful website, blog, or online store for you and your ideas. Save 10% at checkout when you use the coupon code “ROLL” at checkout. Visit squarespace.com. Squarespace. Build it Beautiful.
Harrys.com: A superior shave at an affordable price. Type in my coupon code “ROLL” at purchase for $5 off your starter set and get an entire month’s worth of shaving for just $10 when you visit Harrys.com.
Background, Context & Reference:
- John Salley’s Vegan Wine: The Vegan Vine
- The Betta Life 21-Day Challenge: bettalifechallenge.com
- ESPN: Chat with John Salley
- IMDB: John Salley
- HuffPo: 3 Former NBA Players Die of heart Attacks in 3 Weeks: Maybe John Salley Was Right
- NutritionStudies: Former NBA Player John Salley Creates a Better Life
- MindBodyGreen: A 4-Time NBA Champion’s 22 Reasons To Go Vegan
- MindBodyGreen: What Made NBA Champion John Salley Decide To Live A Helathier Life
- LATimes: Former NBA Star John Salley Touts the Vegan Life
- Slate: Is the Tenderness of Meat Due to Decomposition?
- Vegan Food Share: Instagram | Facebook | Twitter
- Movie: The Book Of Eli* with Denzel Washington
- Movie: The Kingsmen:The Secret Service* with Samuel Jackson
- PCRM: Neal Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes
- ABCNews: The Secret Weapon of CEOs and Basketball Pros to Get in the Zone
- Forbes: How Harrys Is Taking On The Big Boys of Shaving
- Joi Café: joicafe.com
- The Karma Baker: karmabaker.com
Notable People Discussed in today’s podcast:
- Michael Strahan: Co-host of Live! With Kelly & Michael/Retired football player
- David Carter: American football player
- Emanuel Bronner: Maker of Dr. Bronner’s castile soap
- Adrian Dantley: American professional basketball player
- Jack Sikma: American professional basketball player
- Randy Breuer: American professional basketball player
- Jewel Pookrum: Pioneer in wholistic medicine
- Dr. Goss: Holistic healer
- Brendan Brazier: Endurance athlete, author
- Lance Armstrong: American former professional road racing cyclist
- Rick Fox: Retired professional basketball player
- James Altucher: Author
- Michael Jordan: American professional basketball player
- Dennis Rodman: American professional basketball player
- Adam Carolla: American comedian, radio personality
- Tim Allen: American actor and comedian
- Phil Jackson: American professional basketball executive
- Chuck Daly: American basketball head coach
- Brian Shaw: Former American basketball head coach
- George Mumford: Sports psychologist & meditation teacher
- Walter Payton: American football running back
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy:
- RRP 120:Michael Gervais On How To Master Mindfulness In Sports & Life
- RRP 160:David Carter, The 300lb Vegan
- RRP 147:NASCAR Driver Landon Cassill
- RRP 101:Brendan Brazier, From Professional Athlete to Bestselling Author
- RRP 106:Jackson Foster On Why It’s Cool To Be Conscious & Actively Involved
- RRP 75: James Altucher On Why You Should Choose Yourself
Production, music & sound design by Tyler Piatt. Additional production by Chris Swan. Graphic art by Shawn Patterson.
*Disclosure:Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Plantpower Way is now available at these fine retailers!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our new mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.