“The brain is a pliable instrument. If you don’t program it, someone else will.”
This week I explore the story of a extremely smart, capable and disciplined man who lost his way in the pursuit of the American Dream. It’s a quest that left him disillusioned. Broken and lost, it was only when he let go of that dream entirely that he ultimately found himself and the purpose and fulfillment that had always eluded him.
Meet Brian Rose.
San Diego born and bred, Brian earned a mechanical engineering degree from MIT and his MBA from the Sloan School of Management before heading to Wall Street to make a name for himself.
With money came the fast-paced investment banker lifestyle that accompanies newfound riches. A hard-partying culture in which more was never enough. A warped sense of entitlement that led to financial success. And a perverted belief in his own invincibility that debased his sense of self and led to a heroin addiction that very nearly claimed his life.
Professionally, emotionally and spiritually bankrupt, Brian was compelled to face his addiction and the existential crisis that provoked it — an epiphany in which he realized he could no longer continue along the path he had chosen for himself. He hated his work. He hated his life. And he hated himself.
Thus began Brian’s journey to reclaim his life. A search for meaning. A path towards purpose. And a quest towards becoming whole.
He only had to change one thing: everything.
Walking away away from his lucrative banking career, Brian reinvents himself entirely — physically, mentally, spiritually and professionally. Without any experience, he embarks on a new self-styled career as the host of London Real, an intimate, high-gloss new media talk show launched in 2011 as an alternative to conventional media.
The show is marked by humble beginnings, but ultimately it becomes a massive success. Over the last seven years, Brian has sat for intimate, in-depth conversations with some of the greatest minds on the planet, amassing over 100 million views along the way.
An avid fan of London Real from the outset, I credit Brian as an inspiration for this show. But it wasn’t until this past year that my interest in meeting him quickened.
Seven months ago my friend (and podcast favorite) John Joseph guested on London Real, challenging Brian Brian to tackle a half-ironman on a plant-based diet. Not only did Brian accept the challenge, he created a YouTube mini-series entitled Ironmind — a documentation of the mindset and preparation required to step outside one’s comfort zone. I loved it for the raw honesty in which Brian confronts his past: the shame of his heroin addiction; his history of misplaced priorities; and the spiritual epiphanies that led to his rebirth.
Although the facts of our respective stories differ, I deeply related to Brian’s emotional journey. And I knew I needed to get him on the show.
This is Brian’s story. It’s a story about one dynamic man’s quest to live and be better. It’s a conversation about a capsized American Dream. It’s about the search for happiness, fulfillment, contentedness and purpose. How these things we seek most simply cannot be found in the material. And why the path forward is achieved only through an elevation of consciousness.
I sincerely hope you enjoy the exchange.
Final note: Brian graciously allowed me to use his studio and team to produce both the audio and video for this episode. I strongly urge you to check out the full video version of the show (it’s beautiful), available here: bit.ly/richandbrianrose
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Thanks to this week’s sponsors
Quip: Your one stop solution for oral health! Buy a quip toothbrush from $25 and get up to $5 off your first refill pack by visiting getquip.com/ROLL and using promo code “ROLL” during checkout.
Peloton – Discover this cutting-edge indoor cycling bike that brings the studio experience to your home. Get a great workout at home, anytime you want. Go to onepeloton.com, use the code RICHROLL and get $100 off accessories with your Peloton bike purchase.
Health IQ: A new paradigm insurance company that helps health conscious people get special rates on term life insurance. Go to healthiq.com/ROLL to support the show and learn more.
Watch the YouTube Series: IRONMIND – My Plant-Fueled Challenge To Race The Ironman | London Real with Brian Rose and John Joseph
Background, Context & Reference
- London Real: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube
- Podcast: Listen to London Real with Brian Rose on Apple Podcasts
- Podcast: Listen to Silicon Real with Brian Rose on Apple Podcasts
- YouTube: Why I Left Millions in Banking to Inspire Millions Online | Brian Rose | TEDxClapham
- Medium: Articles by Brian Rose
- Medium: I Almost Killed Myself – Episode 3 IronMind by Brian Rose
- Medium: Brian Rose: “Selflessly Real” From Concept to Business. How American Real was Born by Rogers L. Brooks
- YouTube: Brian Rose on Keiser Report | Silicon Real
- Plant Based News: EXCLUSIVE: Brian Rose Talks Ethics And Upcoming Plant-Based Ironman With PBN by Emily Court
- Live Kindly: London Real Host Brian Rose Adopts Vegan Diet While Training for The Ironman Triathlon by Tanya Flink
- Vision Launch: (Video) Brian Rose of London Real: What it Takes to Follow Your Passion by Marc Zorn
- Book: American Psycho* by Brad Easton Ellis
- Book: Pimp: The Story of My Life* by Iceberg Slim
- Film: Wall Street* Directed by Oliver Stone
- TV Series: Billions on Showtime
Notable People Discussed
- John Joseph: punk rock signer for Bloodclot / the Cro-Mags and multi-episode podcast guest
- Joe Rogan: stand-up comedian, color commentator, podcast host, and retired martial artist
- Dan Pena: High Performance Executive Business Success Coach and founder of QLA ( Quantum Leap Advantage)
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy
- RRP #146: The Plight Of “Tipper X”: How Tom Hardin Became The Most Notorious FBI Informant In The Biggest Insider Trading Case In Decades — And The Long Run To Redemption
- RRP #294: John Joseph Returns: The Evolution Of A Cro-Magnon, Overcoming Insurmountable Obstacles & The Transformative Power Of PMA
- RRP #223: John Joseph Wants You To Wake The Fuck Up
- RRP #066: John Joseph: The Punk Iconoclast On GMO’s, The “V” Word & Expanding Consciousness
- RRP #041: Cro-Mags’ John Joseph: Punk Icon, Spiritual Warrior, Ironman Triathlete & Plantpower Iconoclast
- RRP #248: From Crack Addict To Running The Sahara To Prison Hero — Charlie Engle’s Third Act
Thanks to Jason Camiolo for audio engineering, production and show notes; Interstitial music by SriMati, photos by Leia Marasovich and graphics by Margo Lubin and Blake Curtis. Theme music by Ana Leimma.
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.