“It’s about being able to be aware of the moment and its possibilities than it is about ruminating on what could have happened—I did live and I do live.”
Today’s guest isn’t famous. He hasn’t written a book. He’s not an in demand speaker.
But I can almost promise that you have seen Trampas Thompson — you just didn’t know it.
Working behind the scenes, Trampas is a Hollywood stuntmen extraordinaire, collecting blockbuster credits performing a dizzying array of delicious, death-defying acts in some of the world’s most popular movies and television shows.
Trampas has run the streets on fire, sword battled with Johnny Depp in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies and most recently doubled Michael Keaton in Birdman. Yes, that was Trampas, not Michael, who lept off a New York Theatre District rooftop in the most memorable scene from last year’s Oscar winning best picture.
His credits are impressive: The Dark Knight Rises, National Treasure, 21 Jump Street, Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull, The Wolf of Wall Street, and on and on.
But what drew me to Trampas as a great fit for the podcast actually has very little to do with his work. Far more fascinating? Who he is.
What kind of person becomes a stuntman?
God broke the mold with this guy. Larger than life, Trampas is one-of-a-kind. A renaissance man living life full throttle 24/7. The kind of guy who survived a skydiving accident when his parachute didn’t open, then jumped again. A person unapologetically himself, incapable of doing anything half-assed and utterly fearless.
This is another epic, thoroughly entertaining 3-hour conversation with a truly singular human about living life on one’s own terms. It’s about dragonfly tattoos, synchronicity, Burning Man and the never ending spiritual quest to grow and expand consciousness.
It’s about what it means to hand-wring the adventure out of life.
I sincerely hope you enjoy this conversation with one of my favorite people.
Peace + Plants,
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
StrideHealth: The first health insurance recommendation engine tuned & tailored to the life of the individual. Health insurance enrollment for Obamacare ends on January 31, so head over to stridehealth.com/roll today to save over $400 for the year. It’s easy coverage in 10 minutes or less, built just for people like us.
Harrys.com: A superior shave at an affordable price. Type in my coupon code “ROLL” at purchase for $5 off your starter set and get an entire month’s worth of shaving for just $10 when you visit Harrys.com.
Background, Context & Reference:
- Trampas Thompson on IMDB
- DiscerningBrute: Stunts & Sake:Trampas Thompson
- Texas Tech: Dueling With Depp
- Lubbock Online: Hollywood Stuntman Returning To Lubbock
- Book: The Artist’s Way* by Julia Cameron
- NYTimes: Ayahuasca:A Strong Cup of Tea by Bob Morris
- Cowspiracy* by Keegan Kuhn & Kip Andersen
- Film: Earthlings* narrated by Joaquin Phoenix
- Book: The China Study* by T. Colin Campbell
Notable People Discussed in today’s podcast:
- Jay Freestyle: tattoo artist & painter
- Keanu Reeves: Canadian actor
- Travis Pastrana: American motorsports competitor and stunt performer
- Michael Keaton: American actor, producer & director
- Johnny Depp: American actor, producer & musician
- Keira Knightley: English actress
- Orlando Bloom: British actor
- Jack Davenport: English actor
- Jayson Dumenigo: stunt coordinator
- George Ruge: American filmmaker & stunt coordinator
- Gore Verbinski: American film director
- Alejandro González Iñárritu: Film Director
- Lyle Lovett: American country singer-songwriter & actor
- Terence McKenna: American ethnobotanist, mystic, psychonaut & author
- John Cho: South Korean born American actor
- Chris Weitz: American film producer, screenwriter & author
- Seth Meyers: American comedian, writer, producer & actor
- John Pierre: vegan trainer
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy:
- RRP #041:John Joseph, Punk Icon, Spiritual Warrior, Ironman Triathlete & Plantpower Iconoclast
- RRP #066:John Joseph, The Punk Iconoclast on GMO’s
- RRP #135:Joshua Katcher on Reimagining Fashion As Environmentally & Ethically Sound
- RRP #148:Daniel Pinchbeck on Evolving Consciousness To Reimagine Commerce, Community, Political Systems & The Environment
- RRP #197:Jesse Itzler on Getting Comfortable With Being Uncomfortable
Production, music & sound design by Tyler Piatt. Additional production by Chris Swan. Graphic art by Shawn Patterson.
*Disclosure:Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Plantpower Way is now available at these fine retailers!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our new mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.