“Warriors stand up for the innocent. The real heroes are the ones that are out there defending the innocent, the voiceless…”
When the question turns to living your truth, this first line from Timothy Shieff’s self-authored bio says it all:
I’m a Human practicing Being.
Widely considered one of the world’s best Freerunners (more commonly referred to as parkour), Timothy — aka Livewire — specializes in a death and gravity defying skill set that leaves mere mortals agape. Scaling buildings and leaping off rooftops with effortless grace, Tim is a perfect physical manifestation of focus, coordination, strength, agility and fearlessness.
Indeed, this proper and polite young English lad can do things you can’t. And yet his expression is fueled not by competitive drive, but by something deeper. Tim’s particular brand of parkour is subversive. Reframing the inanimate building, rooftop, curb or railing, Tim inverts the human relationship between human and object. Truly a social and political performance artist, Tim leaves me inspired to live more harmoniously with our ever-changing environment.
Despite captaining Team Europe to a world championship on American Ninja Warrior (and setting records along the way), Tim’s athleticism runs a distant second to his passion for advocacy. A powerful young voice in the vegan movement, Tim wakes up every morning enthusiastic to not only expand his own horizons, but inspire others to do the same.
But more than any of this, it’s Tim’s spirit that moves me, and why I’m so proud to introduce his return to the RRP. In case you missed it, be sure to check out my first conversation with Tim — RRP #86.
Intelligent and articulate beyond his years, my hope is that this conversation leaves you with a new mindfulness and perspective on your path and priorities; pondering the impact of our consumer choices on the planet; and questioning culturally entrenched assumptions about the relationship between nutrition and extraordinary athletic performance.
I genuinely hope you enjoy the conversation.
Peace + Plants,
P.S. – Tim recently completed his first 26.2 at the London Marathon in 3:04. Not a bad debut for a guy who just started running!
Production, music & sound design by Tyler Piatt. Additional production by Chris Swan. Graphic art by Shawn Patterson. Thanks boys!
Curiosities mentioned during the conversation:
- Filmmakers Jack & Finn Harries: Jacksgap.com | YouTube
- EU Team Captain Tim Shieff sets a new record on American Ninja Warrior
- Online fitness tracker and community Strava
- Watch Tim’s video Let Your Synchronicity Flow
- Watch Tim’s Go Vegan” PSA for PETA UK
- Travis Brewer & Modern Tarzan Take on LA
- Rich’s interview with Beyond Meat CEO Ethan Brown – RRP 136
- Documentary film Cowspiracy*
- Rich’s interview with Joshua Katcher on RRP 135
- Timothy on Jamie Oliver’s YouTube Channel:
- Tim talks to Jamie Oliver about McDonalds, Veganism & Bill Gates
- American spiritualist Marianne Williamson
- Josh Tetrick on Hampton Creek
- Daily Telegraph: Living Statue: Meet London’s Naked Freerunner
- Gary Yourofsky on Wikipedia
Books mentioned on today’s podcast:
- Born To Run* by Christopher McDougall
- Eat And Run* by Scott Jurek
- RUN: The Mind-Body Method of Running by Feel* by Matt Fitzgerald
- Finding Ultra* by Rich Roll
- Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life* by Brendan Brazier
- Autobiography of a Yogi* by Paramahansa Yogananda
- The Celestine Prophecy* by James Redfield
- A New Earth* by Eckhart Tolle
- Essene Gospel of Peace* by Edmond Szekely
Check my first interview with Tim – Rich Roll Podcast 86
*Disclosure: Books denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to our Amazon affiliate code. Any purchase will not cost you a cent extra but will support the show by shaking loose a little Amazon affiliate change in our direction.
The Plantpower Way is now available at these fine retailers!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Bookmark & Use the Amazon Banner Ad: Click through to Amazon via our Amazon banner ad (below and on the main podcast page) for all your Amazon purchases. Won’t cost you a penny extra on any purchases but will throw some loose commission change from the Amazon coffers our way, which help cover show expenses. Wanna make it even easier to support? Just bookmark the Amazon banner affiliate url link to your browser toolbar – then every time you click to go to Amazon you can feel great for supporting what we are doing – no brainer!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our new mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.