Today we’re back with some heavy nutrition talk!
There is so much confusion out there about diet, food & optimal health. It’s enough to make even the most discerning, conscientious consumer’s head split wide open in frustration. Exasperated, we end up simply paralyzed — continuing to perpetuate unhealthy eating habits that enslave us to an inevitable future of disease, obesity and dependence upon the pharmaceutical industry.
My humble opinion? Last week’s Time Magazine cover story on the comeback of butter doesn’t exactly help matters. Seriously?
To help set matters to rights and slice through the wide swath of confusion, obfuscation and downright misinformation, I am pleased to host the lovely and sagacious Sharon Palmer RD. For the uninitiated, “RD” stands for Registered Dietitian. But a more apropos professional acronym just might be “PPRD” – for PlantPowered Registered Dietitian.
Sharon is the editor of the award-winning health newsletter Environmental Nutrition, and a nationally recognized nutrition expert who has personally impacted thousands of people’s lives through her writing and clinical work. She is the author of The Plant-Powered Diet: The Lifelong Eating Plan For Achieving Optimal Health, Starting Today and her new book Plant-Powered For Life: Eat Your Way to Lasting Health with 52 Simple Steps and 125 Delicious Recipes comes out on July 8 (available now for pre-order). These are books that empower everyone — whether vegan, vegetarian, or omnivorous — to put that Plantpower manifesto into practice by adopting a largely or entirely whole-foods, plant-based diet and thereby reaping such benefits as weight loss, optimal health, and longer life.
Indeed, the Plantpower / Plant-Power meme isn’t just alive and well, it’s picking up steam.
What’s great about Sharon is her easy-to-grasp, personal approach to food and diet, an approach that marshals the most up-to-date findings in nutrition to explain both why you should eat more plant-based fare and exactly how to do so.
But more interesting that that (to me at least) is our dialog about transcending diet altogether. The idea that true wellness stems from adopting a more long-term, sustainable, holistic mind-body-spirit lifestyle approach to not only what you put in your mouth, but how you spend your time and actually live on a day-to-day basis.
This is the approach that changed my life. The approach I do my best to embody daily. And the approach I continue to rely and fall back upon to keep my life balanced and in check (with varying degrees of success I might add). So it was great to hear Sharon echo this perspective.
I sincerely hope you enjoy the conversation. If you do, tell a friend!
Peace + Plants,
- The Plant-Powered Diet: The Lifelong Eating Plan For Achieving Optimal Health, Starting Today, by Sharon Palmer, RD
- Plant-Powered For Life: Eat Your Way to Lasting Health with 52 Simple Steps and 125 Delicious Recipes, by Sharon Palmer RD (Release Date: July 8, 2014)
- Blue Zones: 9 Lessons For Living Longer From The People Who’ve Lived the Longest, by Dan Buettner
- The Huffington Post: Why You Should Stop Hacking Your Life and Invest In the Journey, by Rich Roll
Legal Zoom: Use the Promo Code RICH at Checkout: LegalZoom.com
WANT TO SUPPORT THE SHOW?
Here’s how you can help:
1. TELL A FRIEND! The show is free and will always be free. I don’t ask anything of you. But if you want to help, the best way to do that is to help spread the word. Share it at your next dinner party and post on your social networks using the #RRP and #plantpower hashtags. If you want to really put a smile on my face, post a picture of you on Instagram listening the show — I love that.
2. SUBSCRIBE & REVIEW: Subscribe to the show on iTunes HERE and leave a review on the iTunes Show Homepage HERE. I’m not asking you to leave a 5-star review, only that you share your honest experience of the show. Reviews on iTunes really help the show get properly featured on the iTunes interface.
3. BOOKMARK & USE THE AMAZON BANNER AD: If & when you are about to buy something on Amazon, first click through to the Amazon site via the Amazon banner ad on the right-hand margin of this site. Won’t cost you a penny extra on any purchases but will throw some loose commission change from the Amazon coffers our way, which I use to cover show expenses, including paying my son Tyler who produces the show. Wanna make it even easier to support? Just bookmark the Amazon banner affiliate url link to your browser toolbar – then every time you click to go to Amazon you can feel great for supporting what we are doing – no brainer!
Thanks for listening and thanks for the support!