“We, ourselves, are an ecosystem and we’re intimately connected to the earth that we live on and everything that we do to it.”
Rachel Carlton Abrams
We are all innately gifted with something called body intelligence — an intuitive sense of what best serves our mental, physical and emotional well-being.
However, most of us disconnect from our bodies’ persistent efforts to communicate, muting it out to favor the breakneck pace of our modern lives. Left unchecked, this leaves us at serious risk of what this week’s guest calls chronic body depletion – a crisis of mind, body and spirit that can lead to everything from weight gain and chronic pain to high blood pressure, heart disease, depression, autoimmune disease and more.
This week Rachel Carlton Abrams, MD, MHS, ABIHM joins the podcast to help us better cultivate our body intelligence, so that we can begin to properly treat the cause of what ails us and set a better trajectory for optimum healing and lifelong health.
Dr. Abrams is a board-certified primary care, family practice physician, integrative health expert and author with over two decades of experience in preventive and comprehensive care medicine. She graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Stanford University, received her medical degree from UC San Francisco, earned her master’s degree in Holistic Health and Medical Sciences from UC Berkeley, and has been voted the “Best Doctor” in Santa Cruz County every year from 2010 to 2016.
In the scope of her dynamic practice, she works with many of the world’s most influential people, from CEOs to billionaire entrepreneurs to Nobel Peace laureates, and has spent countless hours addressing everyday patients with chronic health conditions.
The author of several books on holistic health, relationships and sexuality, her latest offering, BodyWise: Discovering Your Body’s Intelligence for Lifelong Health and Healing, skillfully and accessibly guides the reader on a journey of discovery towards creating the vibrant, balanced, healthy life you have always deserved.
This is a fun and super informative conversation packed with knowledge nuggets and practical wisdom takeaways all designed to cultivate your own body intelligence. An intelligence that will help you take better responsibility for yourself, your environment, your behaviors, your relationships, and your health so that you can fuel your body’s natural predisposition to heal and thrive.
Specific topics covered include:
- the concept of chronic body depletion
- reconnecting with our bodies/nature
- mind, body & spirit connection
- taking responsibility for yourself
- the business of healthcare
- sense, feel & discernment
- the body’s natural predisposition to heal
- the benefits of integrative medicine
- link inflammation and disease
- the importance of positive feedback loops
- adaptogenic herbs & essential oils
It was an absolute joy talking to Dr. Abrams and I’m delighted to bring you our conversation. I sincerely hope you enjoy it.
Peace + Plants,
Check out Julie’s updated website srimati.com
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
Harrys.com: A superior shave at an affordable price. Friends of the Rich Roll Podcast can visit Harrys.com/ROLL to redeem your Free Trial Set, which comes with a razor, five-blade cartridge, shaving gel, and post shave gel. All you pay is just shipping.
Casper: The #1 online retailer of premium mattresses for a fraction of the price. Get $50 toward any mattress purchase today by visiting casper.com/ROLL and using promo code “ROLL“ at checkout.
Rachel’s newly released book is available now: BodyWise: Discovering Your Body’s Intelligence for Lifelong Health and Healing*
Background, Context & Reference
- Connect With Rachel: Website | Instagram | Facebook
- TEDx Santa Cruz: (R)evolutionary Medicine with Rachel Abrams, MD
- Book: The Man’s Guide To Women* by John Gottman, PhD, Julie Schwartz Gottman, PhD, Douglas Abrams, Rachel Carlton Abrams. MD
- Book: The Multi-Orgasmic Woman* by Rachel Carlton Abrams
- Book: The Multi-Orgasmic Couple* by Rachel Carlton Abrams
- SantaCruzSentinel: In her new book, Dr. Rachel Carlton Abrams champions listening to what your body tells you by Wallace Baine
- Well+Good: These Brain Boosting Supplements Are Like Adderall for Multitaskers by Erin Magner
- Nylon: The Best Home Remedies For Kicking Cold And Flu Season In The Butt by Jenna Igneri
- ThriveGlobal: 5 Health Resolutions I Wish People Would Make by Rachel Abrams
- OrganicLife: 6 Times You Should Never Use Essential Oils by Rebecca Straus
- Bustle: 10 Amazing Products That Can Boost Your Serotonin Levels by Taylor Fuller
- Bustle: 11 Weird Signs You Have Acid Reflux That Aren’t Just Heartburn by Carina Wolff
- WorldWiseBeauty: Q&A With Rachel Carlton Abrams, MD
- 23AndMe Genetic Testing: 23andme.com
- Cancer: MTBE and Cancer Risk
- Probiotic: VSL 3 High Potency Probiotic*
- The Academy of Integrative Health & Medicine (AIHM): aihm.org
- The Institute for Functional Medicine: functionalmedicine.org
Notable People Discussed in today’s podcast
- Nikki Silvestri: co-founder and CEO of Silvestri Strategies, a project design and management firm working to support thriving communities, economies, and natural environments
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy
- RRP #007: Michael Greger, MD on Omega-3’s Protein & Plantpowered Performance
- RRP #125: Food Can Fix Your Mood With Heather Lounsbury
- RRP #192: Live Dirty, Eat Clean: Robynne Chutkan, MD On Everything Microbiome
- RRP #209: Rhonda Patrick On Longevity, Epigenetics, Microbiome Health & The Difference Between Eating For Long-Term Wellness Versus Performance
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to our Amazon affiliate code. Any purchase will not cost you a cent extra but will support the show by shaking loose a little Amazon affiliate change in our direction, which is a great, free way to support the show.
The Plantpower Way is available at these fine retailers!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Bookmark & Use the Amazon Banner Ad: Click through to Amazon via our Amazon banner ad (above) or use richroll.com/amazon for all your Amazon purchases. Won’t cost you a penny extra on any purchases but will throw some loose commission change from the Amazon coffers our way, which help cover show expenses. Wanna make it even easier to support? Just bookmark the Amazon banner affiliate url link to your browser toolbar – then every time you click to go to Amazon you can feel great for supporting what we are doing – no brainer!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.