“Life is going to catch up to your practice.”
We all want to be happy.
So why is it so elusive?
The problem isn’t information. We all know our contentedness is linked to eating right, sleeping well and surrounding ourselves with those who elevate. We get the importance of confronting our emotional challenges. We’re well aware that life is better when we cultivate gratitude and serve others.
And yes, we know we should meditate.
The science is clear. The evidence is in. And yet for so many, the gap between information and action is an impossibly untraversable canyon.
Perhaps you resist the traditional trappings that swirl around the idea of meditation — the robes and incense a bridge too far. Maybe you can’t get your legs to perfectly fold, monk-like, without cramping. You decided you just don’t have the time. Or perchance you tried it, only to give up because you just couldn’t get your looping mind to shut off, convinced meditation is just not for you.
Relax. You’re not alone.
But today’s guest poses an important question: What if the problem isn’t meditation itself, but your approach? In other words, what if it were easy?
Meet Light Watkins.
Beyond having the coolest name of all time, I would characterize Light as a generous, highly accessible and contemplative entrepreneur of mindfulness. Always convivial, impressively composed, and quick with a laugh, he has been practicing and teaching Vedic Meditation for twenty years. Among his thousands of students you will find bankers, artists, politicians, CEOs, care takers, educators, comedians, rock stars, soccer moms and seekers of all kinds.
An active blogger and in demand public speaker (check out his TEDx Talk), he’s also the founder of The Shine — a volunteer-based, pop-up traveling variety show that leverages music, film, philanthropy and storytelling to inspire people to do more, give more, and be more.
In addition, Light recently penned a new book entitled, Bliss More — an accessible primer that does a bang-up job of dispelling the many myths and misunderstandings that swirl around meditation with a very grounded approach and practical tools that will inspire you to finally adopt that daily practice that has to date, eluded you.
So let’s put all those myths and misunderstandings to bed, once and for all.
Because we can all use a little more bliss in our lives.
And we all deserve to be happy.
I sincerely hope you enjoy this exchange with one of my very favorite people.
One final note — for more on Light and his background, check out our first conversation, RRP #172 back in August 2015.
Peace + Plants,
Images of Light courtesy of Lila Seely
Watch & Subscribe on YouTube: http://bit.ly/lightwatkinsrrp
Filmed by Michael Gibson & edited by Blake Curtis
Thanks to this week’s sponsors
22 Days Nutrition: the 100% plant-based, 100% USDA certified organic nutrition products and meal delivery platform designed to meet the needs of your healthy, active life. For 10% off all products (including the meal delivery) and free shipping, visit 22daysnutrition.com/richroll and use promo code RICHROLL at checkout.
Boll & Branch: The first honest and transparent bedding company that only uses sustainable and responsible methods of sourcing and manufacturing. Go to BollandBranch.com today for $50 off your first set of sheets by typing in promo code RICHROLL at checkout
Note: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support the sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.
Check out Light’s latest book: Bliss More: How to Succeed in Meditation Without Really Trying*
Background, Context & Reference
- Connect with Light: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
- The Shine Movement: theshinemovement.org
- Begin Meditating: beginmeditating.com
- Book: The Inner Gym: A 30-day workout for strengthening Happiness* by Light Watkins
- Book: Conversations with God Trilogy* by Neale Donald Walsch
- TEDxVeniceBeach: Debunking the 5 Most Common Meditation Myths | Light Watkins
- YouTube: Light Watkins on How Meditation Works
- YouTube: The Backwards Brain Bicycle (SmarterEveryDay)
- Medium: The Evolution of The Shine
- MindBodyGreen: Articles By Light Watkins
- MindBodyGreen: 4 Reasons This Meditation Teacher Won’t Do Ayahuasca
- CitizensOf Culture: Light Watkins: Meditation Master
Notable People Discussed In Today’s Podcast
- Dan Harris: journalist, ABC News correspondent, Nightline anchor, author of 10% Happier* and (2x) podcast guest
- Sharon Salzberg: teacher of Buddhist meditation practices in the West, co-founder of the Insight Meditation Society, New York Times Best selling author and podcast guest
- Thom Knoles: maharishi (or pre-eminent master-teacher) of Vedic Meditation
- Charlie Knoles: visionary Vedic Meditation master teacher and podcast guest; son of Thom Knoles
- David Lynch: filmmaker, painter, musician, actor, photographer and David Lynch Foundation founder
- Bob Roth: Transcendental Meditation teacher and author. He is the CEO of the David Lynch Foundation and a director of the Center for Leadership Performance
- Anna David: author, journalist and television personality specializing in addiction and recovery as well as relationships
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy
- RRP #172: Light Watkins On The Inner Gym: How Meditation Can Train Consciousness For Happiness
- RRP 043: Charlie Knoles: Mastering the Mind with The Master of Meditation
- RRP #298: Meditation Master Sharon Salzberg On Real Love & The Art Of Mindful Connection
- RRP #346: Dan Harris On The Power Of Meditation For The Fidgety Skeptic
- RRP #284: Leo Babauta’s Mission To End Human Struggle
- RRP 142: Andy Puddicombe: From Monk to Entrepreneur
- RRP 151: WuDe: Meditations on the Art of Being
- RRP #208: Why All Roads Lead To Meditation
Thanks to Jason Camiolo for production, audio engineering and show notes; Blake Curtis for videography and graphics. Theme music by Ana Leimma and Special Thanks to Lila Seely for her images of Light!
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The revised and updated version of Finding Ultra is now available!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.
Support The Sponsors: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support our sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url’s and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click “Sponsors”.