“Music is a weapon for me. I want to feel myself bleeding.”
Jeff Castelaz is a big deal in the music biz. A self-made guy who scraped his way from nothing to launch and manage major musical acts, found and run a successful indie label and even serve up president duties at a major record label.
All of these things are very impressive and interesting.
None of these things are what draw me to Jeff.
Jeff is on the show because of his compelling, at times heart-wrenching but incredibly human life story. From his abusive childhood to his struggles with alcohol to the devastating loss of his six-year-old son Pablo to cancer, Jeff is a survivor. A guy who refused to let unbearable pain destroy him, instead leveraging it to access a deeper personal truth, inner strength and sense of purpose.
Finding life-saving comfort and solace in both music and cycling as far back as he can remember, Jeff successfully channelled his incredible passion for both into creating a life and legacy of meaning in selfless service to others as an entrepreneur, husband, father and philanthropist.
In his most recent post as president of Elektra Records, a division of Warner Music Group, Jeff worked alongside the likes of Ed Sheeran, Charlotte Gainsbourg and Kitten, bringing in acts like Fitz and the Tantrums, Saint Motel, The Moth & The Flame and Kaleo.
Prior to his post at Elektra, Jeff served as CEO of Dangerbird Records, which he co-founded in 2003. There, he played a key role in the careers of Silversun Pickups, Fitz and The Tantrums and Liam Gallagher’s post-Oasis effort, Beady Eye.
In 2009 Jeff & his wife Joanne Thraikill tragically lost their son Pablo to cancer just six days after his sixth birthday. From the moment of Pablo’s 2008 diagnosis with bilateral Wilms Tumor, a rare form of childhood cancer, Jeff took to the blogosphere to keep friends and family apprised of developments. Sharing his incomprehensible pain with a bold and raw vulnerability, PABLOG! went viral, resulting in a massive and unexpected outpouring of love and support for Pablo and the Castelaz / Thraikill family. Support Jeff and Joanne ultimately channelled into what would become the Pablove Foundation– a pediatric cancer charity which has raised $10 million to date in support of innovative pediatric cancer research and programs for kids and families living with childhood cancer.
Each year since its inception, Pablove hosts a charity ride called Pablove Across America. Today — Monday October 5, 2015 — marks the start of Pablove’s seventh annual week-long cycling event in which 40 cyclists will ride from Los Angeles to San Francisco to raise funds and awareness for childhood cancer. To find out more, get involved and donate, click here.
This is a conversation about music and life. Rage, pain, disease, addiction, loss and grief. It’s about breaking old cycles. Learning how to heal. Growing up, self-care and sobriety. It’s about hope, family, redemption and service. It’s about salvation. And it’s about the beauty, comfort and agony that comes with loving wide and loving deep.
Jeff is an incredibly charismatic guy with a infectious energy and a spirit the size of Montana. I’m proud to call him friend. And I’m proud to share this conversation with you today. May it move you as deeply as it moved me.
Peace + Plants,
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
Bombas: Athletic-leisure socks, re-engineered to look better, feel better, and perform better. Visit Bombas.com/roll for 20% off any size order for first-time customers.
Squarespace.com: The easiest way to create a beautiful website, blog, or online store for you and your ideas. Visit squarespace.com and save 10% at checkout when you use the coupon code “ROLL” at checkout. Squarespace. Build it Beautiful.
Background, Context & Reference:
- PABLOG!: getwellpablo.blogspot.com
- Billboard: Jeff Castelaz Steps Down as Elektra President
- Elektra Records: elektra.com
- Dangerbird: dangerbirdrecords.com
- Peloton: The Story of Pablove
- PBS: Cancer:The Emperor of All maladies
- LATimes: Dangerbird Co-Founder Jeff Castelaz to Head Elektra
- LATimes: Addiction Specialist Worked with Celebrities
- ABCNews: Person of the Week: Jeff Castelaz
- Milwaukeemag: Juke Box Hero
- Film: Straight Outta Compton*
- Book: No One Here Gets Out Alive* by Danny Sugarman
- Book: Hammer of the Gods:The Led Zeppelin Saga* by Stephen Davis
- Book: Crazy from the Heat* by David Lee Roth
Major To Minor Songs Discussed
- YouTube: The Beatles: Love Me Do
- YouTube: Neil Diamond: Forever In Blue Jeans
- YouTube: Silversun Pickups: Lazy Eye
- YouTube: Fitz and The Tantrums: MoneyGrabber
Notable People Discussed in today’s podcast:
- Chris Bell: American singer, songwriter
- George Martin: English record producer
- John Lee Hooker: American blues singer
- Tones on Tail: gothic rock group
- Joy Division: English rock band
- Bauhaus: English post punk band
- Love and Rockets: English alternative rock band
- The Smiths: English rock band
- Red Lorry Yellow Lorry: Post-punk band
- Oscar Wilde: Irish author
- Wild Kingdom, an American rock band
- Eddie Vedder: Lead singer of Pearl Jam
- Bob Timmins & Foundation: Addiction Specialist
- Violent Femmes: American alternative rock band
- Butch Vig: American musician & record producer
- Shirley Manson, lead singer of Garbage
- Lee Dorsey: African American pop and R&B singer
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy:
Production, music & sound design by Tyler Piatt. Additional production by Chris Swan. Graphic art by Shawn Patterson.
*Disclosure:Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Plantpower Way is now available at these fine retailers!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our new mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.