“I believe in the power of small wins—whatever you are looking to do, whether you are looking to improve your relationship, your diet, work—focus on little things, win, and move from there.”
Intellectually, we all know that true happiness is not a function of material status. Nonetheless, we all catch ourselves repeating the mantra, if I only had X, then I would be happy.
Nonsense. Not only can you be happy now, it’s your birthright. Because the good life isn’t about your bank account, it’s about your lifestyle. And lifestyle is a choice.
This is the subject of my wellness entrepreneur friend Jason Wachob’s new book, Wellth: How I Learned To Build A Life, Not A Resumé, which hits bookstores everywhere March 1. In addition to being a beautiful personal memoir, its about how to cultivate a lifestyle where happiness is attainable, health is paramount, work is purposeful, friendships are deep and plentiful, and daily living is about abundance and joy.
But how? By redefining what it means to live successfully based upon the non-financial currency of wellbeing.
As co-founder and CEO of MindBodyGreen.com, the internet’s biggest online destination for all things wellness, Jason is one of the movement’s most prominent, leading voices. But Jason himself was not always well. After a successful basketball career at Columbia University, he took his competitive spirit to Wall Street. Workaholism, stress and poor lifestyle habits rewarded his bank account and lionized his caricature on the walls of the famous Palm steakhouse. But happiness, personal satisfaction and well-being eluded him.
Jason’s faced-paced, sedentary lifestyle led to chronic back pain every surgeon said could not be resolved short of surgery. Against medical advice, Jason instead began to explore yoga, which miraculously resolved his persistent, painful condition. Amazed by the body’s ability to heal itself when treated properly led to an interest in exploring other aspects of wellness, including diet, mindfulness and sustainability. The lights went on, sparking his innate entrepreneurial flair.
MindBodyGreen was born, and the rest is history.
I have been great friends with Jason and his wife Colleen for over six years. We have collaborated beautifully on a number of projects. And I have a sense of personal pride that we have both grown so much since our initial meeting back in 2008. He was one of my very first guests on the podcast, and today’s conversation picks up where RRP 32 leaves off.
Specific topics covered include:
- Jason’s personal journey with wellness
- healing through food and lifestyle
- the genesis of MBG and other content providers
- how he turned MBG into a premier lifestyle media brand with 10-15 million uniques per month
- how he balances start up CEO duties with personal wellness
- Jason’s morning routine
- Jason’s business & wellness mentors
- current trends in wellness
- the importance of practicing mindfulness
- misconceptions about soul mates
- why he decided to write a book
- how Wellth is accessible to all
- advice for entrepreneurs
- and why you should always think three moves ahead
I love this guy and have tremendous respect for his mission, what he has built and how he lives his life on a daily basis.
Enjoy the conversation.
Peace + Plants,
Discover deeper passion & build your most fulfilling relationship ever with our newest online video course entitled The Ultimate Guide to Conscious Relationships, now 30% off until March 1st.
Check out Julie’s new podcast divine throughline
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
Headspace.com: Train your mind for a healthier, less-stressed life. Begin with 10 days of guided meditation with their FREE Take10 program. Sign up now att headspace.com/ROLL.
Audible.com: With more than 180,000 audiobooks and spoken-word audio products, you’ll find what you’re looking for. Rich Roll listeners are entitled to a FREE audiobook and 30-day trial today by signing up at audible.com/richroll.
Learn More About Wellth: Wellth.MindBodyGreen.com
Order Jason’s new memoir: Wellth: How I Learned To Build A Life, Not A Résumé*
Background, Context & Reference:
- MindBodyGreen: How MindBodyGreen Came to Life by Jason Wachob
- MindBodyGreen: 39 Life Lessons I’ve Learned In 39 Years by Jason Wachob
- MindBodyGreen: 41 Life Lessons I’ve Learned In 41 Years by Jason Wachob
- MindBodyGreen: 10 Wellness Trends to Watch in 2016 by Jason Wachob
- MindBodyGreen: Why Every Athlete Should Do Yoga by Rich Roll
- The Observer: How To Build A Life, Not A Resumé
- Brownstoner: Bet Your Office Isn’t As Inspired As The New Zen-Like Workspace of MindBodyGreen
- Adweek: This Health & Wellness Publisher’s Office Is Geared Towards Tranquility
- Awaken: 5 Reasons Why Dudes Should Practice Yoga
- MindBodyGreen: “Kimbal Musk On Making A Difference, Living A Life You Love, And #Wellth” by Jason Wachob
- Forbes: Organic Avenue’s Bankruptcy: When Investment Capital Replaces The Founder’s Passion by Zalmi Duchman
- Forbes: Tech Startup Secrets of Bill Campbell, Coach of Silicon Valley by Robert Hof
Notable People Discussed in today’s podcast:
- Leslie Feist: indie pop singer-songwriter
- Chris Taylor: musician, producer and bass guitarist for the indie folk group, Grizzly Bear
- Tara Stiles: model turned celebrity yogi
- John Mackey: co-CEO Whole Foods Market
- Chip Wilson: Lululemon founder
- Marie Kondo: Japanese organizing consultant and author
- Gary Vaynerchuk :Author, public speaker & internet personality
- Kimbal Musk: entrepreneur, venture capitalist and environmentalist
- Tim Ferriss: author, entrepreneur, and public speaker
- Peter Tunney: artist, philanthropist and entrepreneur
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy:
- RRP #032: Jason Wachob, CEO and co-founder of MindBodyGreen.com
- RRP #043: Charlie Knoles on Mastering The Mind With The Master Of Meditation
- RRP #172: Light Watkins On The Inner Gym: How Meditation Can Train Consciousness For Happiness
- RRP #195: Marco Borges’ 22-Day Revolution:A Plant-Based Mission To Transform Mainstream Culture
- RRP #142: Andy Puddicombe: From Monk To Entrepreneur
*Disclosure: Books and films denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to our Amazon affiliate code. Any purchase will not cost you a cent extra but will support the show by shaking loose a little Amazon affiliate change in our direction.
The Plantpower Way is available at these fine retailers!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Bookmark & Use the Amazon Banner Ad: Click through to Amazon via our Amazon banner ad (above) for all your Amazon purchases. Won’t cost you a penny extra on any purchases but will throw some loose commission change from the Amazon coffers our way, which help cover show expenses. Wanna make it even easier to support? Just bookmark the Amazon banner affiliate url link to your browser toolbar – then every time you click to go to Amazon you can feel great for supporting what we are doing – no brainer!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.