“It’s not about finding peace, it’s about being at peace with what we find.”
Imagine yourself a top executive at the very apex of the music industry food chain. Your job requires you to travel the world first class and wine and dine the biggest musical acts on the planet like Jay Z, Beyoncé, Coldplay and John Mayer. And you’re making so much cash, you’ve twice been named to Fortune magazine’s annual list of the top 20 highest paid executives under 40.
Now imagine walking away from it all. Why?
Raised by a single mom in a series of unstable living situations, Jason Garner learned early and often how to look after himself. With street-wise hustle and natural salesmanship, he worked hard in school and later even harder in business.
Scrapping his way from a weekend job at a flea market to owning his own concert company, by the time he was 37 Jason had become CEO of Global Music at Live Nation Entertainment — the world’s largest concert promotion company and arguably the most important corporate entity in the entire music industry.
It can safely be said he made it.
Unfortunately, never once did Jason pause to take a breath. Operating on the misplaced belief that in order to be loved, he had to be the best, Jason would have happily pursued his career path all the way to the grave.
But then something happened. Something that would change everything.
In the wake of his second divorce, the single mom that was Jason’s everything contracted stomach cancer. Her sudden death brought his life to a halt and his ego to its knees. Compelled to re-evaluate his life top to bottom, Jason finally asked himself a most important question:
what really matters?
To answer this, Jason did the unthinkable for someone in his exalted executive position: he quit his job.
And for the first time in his life, Jason actually breathed.
For the next several years, he immersed himself in the study and practice of health and spirituality. He got to know himself and the inner-workings of his mind. And he met the woman of his dreams.
Today he is both student and teacher of all things spiritual, mindful and meditative. A man who has spent literally thousands of hours sitting cross-legged with Masters of body, mind and spirit. A journey to wholeness that has left Jason far happier and more personally fulfilled than he ever was in his envious capacity as a prestigious CEO in perhaps the sexiest business in the world.
Jason shares his fantastic voyage to self-love and self-acceptance — from living for matter to living to matter — in his quite compelling memoir … And Then I Breathed: My Journey from a Life of Matter to a Life That Matters. Plenty of further insights can be found on his thought provoking blog at jasongarner.com.
Jason is a beautiful, special soul. His courage, commitment and warmth (he signs all his e-mails with “Big Hugs”) inspires me to do and be better. It was an honor to sit in his vibration and I’m proud to share this conversation. A conversation that traverses the elegant arc of Jason’s life with a focus on all things meditation & mindfulness, including:
- living for matter vs. living to matter
- dogma-free spirituality
- spiritual entrepreneurship
- radical selfishness
- self-help vs. self-love
- opting out of the ‘American Dream’
- mindfulness in the pursuit of goals
- measurable metrics and personal joy
- self-discovery & being present in life through loss
- the role of mentors in business & spirituality; and
- the warrior monk mentality
Today’s question: Are you living life “for matter” or “to matter”?
I’d love to hear all about it in the comments section below.
I sincerely hope you enjoy the exchange.
Peace + Plants,
Special thanks to today’s sponsors:
Harrys.com: A superior shave at an affordable price. Type in my coupon code “ROLL” at purchase for $5 off your starter set and get an entire month’s worth of shaving for just $10 when you visit Harrys.com.
Bonobos.com: For a limited time, all new customers can get 20% off their first order when you go to Bonobos.com/richroll to discover the difference that an expertly-crafted, better-fitting wardrobe can make.
Background, Context & Reference:
- Book: …And I Breathed, My Journey from a Life of Matter to a Life That Matters* by Jason Garner
- Enterpreneur: Using Your Entrepreneurial Values to Avoid Burnout
- Forbes: On Rediscovering Balance: Jason Garner, Former Live Nation Exec
- Forbes: The Growing Business Case For Compassionate Leaders: Jason Garner, Spiritual Entrepreneur
- Reddit AMA: I am Jason Garner, Former CEO of Global Music at Live Nation…
- The Connector: Q&A with former Fortune 500 CEO and author Jason Garner
- WhartonJournal: Rebalancing Success: Live Nation’s ex-CEO Jason Garner
- The Harbus: Jason Garner Was a Fortune 500 Exec Who Worked With Jay Z and Beyoncé. He Gave It All Away. Here’s Why
- Jason’s Blog: Spiritual Entrepreneurship
- Amplify: Jason Garner Is Now A New-Agey Guru
- TheGuardian: Jimmy Kimmel has emotional response to death of Cecil the lion
- Live Nation Entertainment: livenation.com
- Julie’s Jai Release Meditation
Notable People Discussed in today’s podcast:
- Charlie Knoles: Vedic Meditation teacher
- Viktor Frankl: Austrian neurologist
- Michael Rapino: CEO LiveNation Entertainment
- Russell Simmons: Hip-hop music producer
- Caitlyn Jenner: Retired American athlete
- Guru Singh: Spiritual teacher, yogi
- Yogi Bhajan: Spiritual teacher, yogi
- Ross Perot: American businessman
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy:
- RRP 043: Charlie Knoles On Mastering The Mind With The Master Of Meditation
- RRP 142: Andy Puddicombe On Meditation & Mindfulness
- RRP 078: Timothy Olson On The Spiritual Road to Athletic Supremacy
- RRP 070: Travis Brewer On Spirituality Of Peak Athletic Performance
- RRP 151: The Zen of WuDe
- RRP 172: Light Watkins on The Inner Gym
Production, music & sound design by Tyler Piatt. Additional production by Chris Swan. Graphic art by Shawn Patterson.
*Disclosure: Books and films denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to our Amazon affiliate code. Any purchase will not cost you a cent extra but will support the show by shaking loose a little Amazon affiliate change in our direction.
The Plantpower Way is now available at these fine retailers!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Bookmark & Use the Amazon Banner Ad: Click through to Amazon via our Amazon banner ad (below and on the main podcast page) for all your Amazon purchases. Won’t cost you a penny extra on any purchases but will throw some loose commission change from the Amazon coffers our way, which help cover show expenses. Wanna make it even easier to support? Just bookmark the Amazon banner affiliate url link to your browser toolbar – then every time you click to go to Amazon you can feel great for supporting what we are doing – no brainer!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our new mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.