“You’ve got to know what you are good at — that’s the game. If I had a potion that could allow somebody to become fundamentally self-aware and know what they’re good at, they would all win.”
Nobody works harder — and smarter — than Gary Vaynerchuk.
That’s because the maniac known online as Gary Vee operates on one mode and one mode only: full blast. Gregarious, confident and incomparably charismatic, Gary is never at a loss for opinions on everything from the future of social media and the preeminent importance of authenticity to his almost antiquated but refreshing take on the importance, power and relevance of a committed work ethic – a welcome breath of fresh air that stands in stark contradiction to our pervasive, myopic lifehack culture — a regrettable, technocrat popular trend that woefully overvalues false promise short cuts to success over passion, service and fidelity to the journey.
Internet omnipotent with over 1.2 million followers on Twitter, 500K+ Facebook friends and a vast and loyal YouTube subscriber base, I suspect many of you are already daily consumers of Gary’s persistent, relentless feed of videos, blog posts, social media updates, Snapchat stories and live casts.
For those unfamiliar, Gary is a Belarus-born entrepreneur, venture capitalist and CEO of NYC-based VaynerMedia, one of the fastest growing digital ad & marketing agencies in the world.
A mainstay on YouTube, Gary hosts the hugely popular #AskGaryVee Show and dons protagonist duties on #TheDailyVee, a surprisingly hypnotic, behind the scenes gander into Gary’s everyday business life.
You’ve seen him profiled in the New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, GQ, Time and Fortune’s annual list of 40 under 40. You’ve watched him on Late Night With Conan O’Brien and Ellen. And maybe you’ve even read one his three New York Times bestselling books, Crush It, Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook, The Thank You Economy and now #AskGaryVee – his newest offering which hits bookstores everywhere March 8. A compelling and entertaining distillation of practical, timeless workplace advice on entrepreneurship and management for anyone launching their own company, working in digital media, starting their first job or simply seeking inspiration, Gary’s fourth book is certain to be a massive, ubiquitous success.
A legitimate marketing & business genius, Gary is a kick in the pants – loud, irreverent and unconventional. But he’s also incredibly warm, personable and quite giving when it comes to freely sharing a seemingly endless stream of good ideas, tools and strategies he credits as part and parcel of his personal success equation.
Conversing with Gary is a bit like trying to wrangle a wild horse, so this one is a bit all over the place. But it’s also packed with copious gems to take your game next level. Specific topics covered include:
- the difference between lifestyle and life hacking
- iconoclastic ideas about life balance
- what it means to day trade attention
- the incredible impact of the internet on forging your own life path
- his perceptions on the future of social media
- advice to his younger self
- entrepreneurship – romanticism vs. reality; and
- how to distinguish valuable content from online snake oil
Driven not by profit, but instead by gratitude, I find Gary’s energy infectious. Over the years, he has personally inspired my various entrepreneurial pursuits, so it was a thrill to finally pick his brain during my recent visit to his NYC VaynerMedia headquarters.
So sit back, tap a vein and mainline the rush that is Gary Vee.
Peace + Plants,
Check out Julie’s new podcast divine throughline
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
Harrys.com: A superior shave at an affordable price. Type in my coupon code “ROLL” at purchase for $5 off your starter set and get an entire month’s worth of shaving (a razor, moisturizing shave cream, and 3 razor blades) for just $10 when you visit Harrys.com.
Casper: The #1 online retailer of premium mattresses for a fraction of the price. Get $50 toward any mattress purchase today by visiting www.casper.com/roll and using promo code “ROLL“ at checkout.
Background, Context & Reference:
- Gary’s agency: VaynerMedia.com
- Gary’s mobile influencer marketing agency: GrapeStory.co
- WSJ: Twitter’s Small-Business Big Shots
- Inc: How to Master the 4 Big Social-Media Platforms
- NYTimes: Riding the Hashtag in Social Media Marketing
- Esquire: Gary Vaynerchuk: What I’ve Learned
- Fortune: 40 Under 40
- CrainsNYBusiness: 40 Under 40
- Adweek: VaynerMedia Names Steve Babcock as Its First Chief Creative Officer
- GaryV: Marketing In The Year 2016
- DigiDay: Now 500 people, Gary Vaynerchuk’s VaynerMedia Sets Sights Beyond Social
- Fortune: Is Gary Vaynerchuk for Real?
- YouTube: The Architect & The Mason | DailyVee 017
- YouTube: The Super 8 Event Raw Footage
- Fortune: Trump vs. Clinton: Who’s The Bigger Loser on Social Media?
- VentureBeat: Gary Vaynerchuk’s New Book Taught Me 369 New Lessons About Business
- Inc.: Gary Vaynerchuk:The Daily Ritual That Keeps Me Focused
- Inc.: Gary Vaynerchuk: Take Your Two Passions And Smash Them Into One
- Medium: Content Is King, But Context Is God
- Medium: The Entrepreneurial Spirit: Are Entrepreneurs Born Or Made?
Gary’s Other Books:
- Gary Vaynerchuk’s 101 Wines: Guaranteed to Inspire, Delight, and Bring Thunder to Your World*
- Crush It!: Why NOW Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion*
- The Thank You Economy*
- Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook: How to Tell Your Story in a Noisy Social World*
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy:
- RRP 002: Chris Jaeb – An Entrepreneur’s Journey To Wholeness
- RRP 075: James Altucher – Choose Yourself
- RRP 190: Gunnar Lovelace – Healthy Food For Everyone
- RRP 197: Jesse Itzler – Never Fear Failure
- RRP 211: Russell Simmons – From Hip Hop Mogul To Happy Vegan
- RRP 216: Jason Wachob On How To Build A Life, Not A Resumé
Thanks to Alex De Simone for making this conversation happen, Chris Swan for production assistance, Shawn Patterson for his graphic wizardry, TAWX for the interstitial music and Ana Leimma for their rendition of Bowie’s Life On Mars.
*Disclosure:Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Plantpower Way is available at these fine retailers!
Are you a company interested in sponsoring the podcast? Click here to learn more & take our sponsor survey.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Download Our Free App! Now you can access, stream, download and share the entire RRP catalog in the palm of your hand on any iOS mobile device (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) with our mobile app. Never miss an episode, plus special announcements, discounts, giveaways. Already downloaded? Awesome. When you have a minute, and it feels right to you, do us a solid and give the app a review in the iTunes Store.